PDA

View Full Version : drivetrain

sharukh
12-12-2006, 10:24 AM
hey, can any1 tel me if the oil sleeve is necessary in the torsen differential or is there any other way?

what type of bearings are used in the upright? roller, ball or taper?

while calculating the reduction in the drivetrain, we have 3 reductions - primary, gearbox n final drive. just want to make sure that we use all 3 reductions while considering rpm, speed n acceleration? i read somewhere that v dnt consider the primary reduction.

sharukh
12-12-2006, 10:24 AM
hey, can any1 tel me if the oil sleeve is necessary in the torsen differential or is there any other way?

what type of bearings are used in the upright? roller, ball or taper?

while calculating the reduction in the drivetrain, we have 3 reductions - primary, gearbox n final drive. just want to make sure that we use all 3 reductions while considering rpm, speed n acceleration? i read somewhere that v dnt consider the primary reduction.

drivetrainUW-Platt
12-12-2006, 12:59 PM
Are you making an aluminum case for you torsen? If you are I would put some brass bushings on the driveshafts.

Welfares
12-20-2006, 08:58 PM
Hi sharukh

I agree with Mike, you need some sort of bushings (we used needle rollers) on the driveshafts.

As for the oil sleeve, i would say yes you need one.

What to put in there?

Having had horrible trouble trying to stop leaks on two cars myself, seeing RMIT run with a Diff covered in race tape, and UWA get disqualified from one enduro for a leaky diff, (note, these teams went 1 2 in the comp),
I'm sure this will get shot down, but pack the thing full of grease, it mostly doesn't come out.

Parker
12-20-2006, 09:43 PM
Torsen says that you "must" run a certain gear oil, but whatever. I personally think that packing it with a synthetic gear grease would work just fine as long as you could keep the grease from flying out. It might even give you less trouble than fluid when doing maintenance as well.

vreihen
12-21-2006, 04:59 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I personally think that packing it with a synthetic gear grease would work just fine as long as you could keep the grease from flying out. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

FWIW, here's two examples of chain-drive Quaife diffs being packed with grease...one from Quaife themselves:

http://www.quaife.co.uk/shop_files/QDF7ZR24179.jpg
http://www.taylor-race.com/part.cfm?id=4702&popup=1

Don't know if either unit differs internally from an oil-based diff or if using grease changes the torque biasing properties any, but Quaife specifically offers a lifetime warranty on their grease-filled unit so I guess that their engineers don't have a problem with grease being used instead of oil in this application.....