PDA

View Full Version : Turbo Maps

Lars Kanter
05-01-2006, 05:38 PM
Hey I've been scouring this forum for the past hour trying to find compressor and turbine maps with some success, but haven't found much with significant detail. I came across a big zip file with drawings and more detailed maps for the GT12, but the turbine map was from 65k-120k RPM and the compressor from 120k-240k...not too useful. Some previous posts from some guys from Swinburne (turbochik and Andycostin) said that the turbine map related to the wrong part no. turbine. Does anyone have detailed maps for the GT12 that are useful? Also, what turbos do teams use other than the GT12? Are there detailed maps available for those? I'd do the research on the forum myself, but I'm trying to put together a semester-long design project for one of my classes in 2 days at the same time as getting our car running and I'd appreciate any help offered.

Lars Kanter
05-01-2006, 05:38 PM
Hey I've been scouring this forum for the past hour trying to find compressor and turbine maps with some success, but haven't found much with significant detail. I came across a big zip file with drawings and more detailed maps for the GT12, but the turbine map was from 65k-120k RPM and the compressor from 120k-240k...not too useful. Some previous posts from some guys from Swinburne (turbochik and Andycostin) said that the turbine map related to the wrong part no. turbine. Does anyone have detailed maps for the GT12 that are useful? Also, what turbos do teams use other than the GT12? Are there detailed maps available for those? I'd do the research on the forum myself, but I'm trying to put together a semester-long design project for one of my classes in 2 days at the same time as getting our car running and I'd appreciate any help offered.

rjwoods77
05-01-2006, 06:19 PM
http://not2fast.wryday.com/turbo/maps/

Lars Kanter
05-01-2006, 06:33 PM
Thanks for the reply, Rob. I already came across that site, and the GT12 maps on it are not detailed at all...no indication of shaft RPM. I got a compressor map that looks exactly like the one on that site but with much more detail, though I'm still looking for a useful detailed turbine map.

Chuck Dean
05-01-2006, 07:32 PM
Good luck. Our 'clean snowmobile' team needed turbine maps for their turbo two-stroke research and went to great extents to acquire some turbine maps - no luck. It seems that those who have them aren't willing to release them.

Kirk Feldkamp
05-01-2006, 09:17 PM
They are corrected speeds. Look at the bottom of the sheet for the correction equations. Those are indeed the correct maps for what you're trying to do.

-Kirk

Lars Kanter
05-02-2006, 09:53 AM
Perfect. Thanks Kirk. One more question - what are the units to be used for the temperature and pressure in the correction equations?

Kirk Feldkamp
05-02-2006, 11:21 AM
Use Rankine and Psia for the correction factor units. Also be aware that the RPM numbers on the map are the corrected speeds, so if you want physical speed you have to back calculate that number. The gas stand is programmed to move across the map at a given corrected RPM, not physical RPM. This also applies to the turbine.

-Kirk