PDA

View Full Version : ProEFI

grab a lane
06-12-2013, 05:15 PM
We are interested in using the ProEFI software with a MotoTron 565-128 ECU. Does anyone know how to flash to ECU with the ProEFI software? We don't have the ability to purchase MotoHawk/MotoTune. Can we just use the ProEFI software or are there other pieces needed?

Mbirt
06-17-2013, 06:54 AM
I believe I was in touch with a member from your team about this a few days ago. As far as I know, I'm the only person to have attempted this "ProEFI on the cheap" setup and I would not recommend trying it. You'll need to obtain the program to be flashed to the controller from ProEFI because the free downloadable calibration tool does not come with programs, only calibrations and some .dll files. ProEFI is a tiny, yet extremely busy company and the owner does all of the coding and is the only person that understands the MotoTron system in the full supply chain. The high central level of control over the product's use throughout its life cycle is interesting and I would be curious to hear what others have to say about this. Don't expect speedy or thorough support if you're not a paying customer. Don't expect support from New Eagle either, they only sold you some hardware.

If you must have ProEFI, I would suggest buying a ProEFI48 as cheap as you can from a dealer. Then you'll technically be a paying customer and hopefully able to get some timely support. If you don't like the controller that's lighter by 3 lb, sell it and try to squeak some programs out of the dealer for your 128 while you're a "paying customer".

My greatest suggestion, however, would be to obtain academic sponsorship of MotoTune and MotoHawk from Woodward. We also went with ProEFI because we couldn't afford the real Woodward tools. A year later we got in touch with Woodward and discovered that they were eager to sponsor the software. Just like CAD and simulation software, they want to get their product in the hands of students that will want to use it in industry someday. Contact MotoTron sales and they'll get you in touch with the right salesperson for academia.

We now run our own engine control code made from scratch in MotoHawk and I could not be happier with it. It starts, idles, runs, and sips fuel consistently in a way that it never did with Megasquirt or ProEFI. Our program is simple and only contains what we've discovered is needed to run our engine, yet remains extremely flexible for anything we want to add down the road. Sure, MotoTune isn't flashy and doesn't feature colorful graphs, but you'll get over it and it's more like what you'll use in industry someday. You also have the ability to code for calibration in INCA or ATI Vision if you desire.

Short version: Other pieces are needed, they're application-specific for the trigger wheel and sensor type and you'll have to get them from ProEFI or have a dealer get them from ProEFI.