PDA

View Full Version : Motec DAQ- ECU connection

Hazem Alaa
01-27-2012, 06:14 AM
We are studying the possibilities of buying MoteC DAQ (CDL3-SDL3 OR ADL3), and we are using GSX-R 600 06-07
How can we connect any of these to our ECU?
Notice that we are using our GSX-R 600 ECU not a motec ECU so we don't have an OBD or any serial port

Hazem Alaa
01-27-2012, 06:14 AM
We are studying the possibilities of buying MoteC DAQ (CDL3-SDL3 OR ADL3), and we are using GSX-R 600 06-07
How can we connect any of these to our ECU?
Notice that we are using our GSX-R 600 ECU not a motec ECU so we don't have an OBD or any serial port

Menisk
01-27-2012, 08:54 AM
Personally I think it'd be a much better option in the long run to go for a MoTeC ECU like the M400 rather than create strange work arounds to connect up a dashlogger to your standard ECU. Something like the M400 has the ability to do DAQ and provides your team with lots flexibility for development later on, so long as you can deal with the limited amount of memory to log to. When you have enough budget again then you could look at a dash logger and combine the two much more effectively. I see no reason that an M400 couldn't provide the data logging a developing FSAE team would need until you have the ability to move to a dashlogger. If you need more DAQ than the M400 can provide another option is to use the serial or CAN of the M400 to connect up to a data logger you could build yourself which is what we're doing.

B Lewis @ PE Engine Management
01-28-2012, 08:38 AM
There is no way that I am aware of to connect the OEM ECU to the Motec DAQ (or any DAQ for that matter). There is no communication port on the ECU. About the only thing that you could do would be to measure the raw signals from the ECU and sensors and calibrate for those in the DAQ.

We have an ECU available, the PE3, that will control that engine with all of the stock sensors and provide data logging. The cost for FSAE teams is less than $1000 USD. Contact me offline if you would like more information.