PDA

View Full Version : Help new mexican team

ivanovich
01-14-2009, 01:46 PM
Hello I belong a new Mexican team and I’m trying to design the suspension system. I’ve studied many books like, Tune to win, RCVD of Milliken, Race car suspension, but I want to know how loads and forces such as wheel loads, cornering loads, centrifugal forces etc. are applied on wishbones, the position and direction. Do you have any diagram that can help me?

Thanks…..

ivanovich
01-14-2009, 01:46 PM
Hello I belong a new Mexican team and I’m trying to design the suspension system. I’ve studied many books like, Tune to win, RCVD of Milliken, Race car suspension, but I want to know how loads and forces such as wheel loads, cornering loads, centrifugal forces etc. are applied on wishbones, the position and direction. Do you have any diagram that can help me?

Thanks…..

J.R.
01-14-2009, 03:41 PM
The force is applied at the tyres contact patch. Most likely close to the centerline. From there just do your force/moment balance from the bottom up to your wishbones. I'll be doing some work like this later tonight. I'll try to send it to you via PM later.

The AFX Master
01-16-2009, 10:05 PM
If you really did read RCVD and TTW.. I can't explain to myself how you can't do a free body diagram and sum forces and moments in all three directions :O.

J.R.
01-17-2009, 02:42 PM
AFX Master, What chapter did they explain FBD's in RCVD or TTW??? I must have missed that one, which is odd since I read TTW cover to cover and most of RCVD. Not everyone is at the same point in their education, and I think it's ok to help out new teams, isn't that the point of these forums? I agree some teams abuse it, but this guy is at least asking a decent question, not "SPARK PLUGS NOT CATCHING FIRE"

Ivanovich, send me a PM with your e-mail, since I cannot attach pics to PM's.

The AFX Master
01-17-2009, 07:20 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">but I want to know how loads and forces such as wheel loads, cornering loads, centrifugal forces etc. are applied on wishbones, the position and direction. Do you have any diagram that can help me? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Isn't that what engineers are supposed to do?.. go and find such loads and design around them?. And TTW DOES discuss about contact patch loads and suspension geometry enough to use common sense an do some homework.

Mikey Antonakakis
01-17-2009, 10:19 PM
I understand the value of learning something first-hand by doing it yourself. But there is also value in having someone help you along, especially in a competition like this where time is so valuable. I'm not just speaking to you when I say this, but if you don't want to help someone out, don't bother making a post in reply to a question, especially if you are going to have such a discouraging tone. What you said can be applied to any level of knowledge, yours included. I know for sure that I know hardly anything about race cars. I'll help out if I can. I'll ask questions if I feel like I have something to gain by doing so. If no one wants to answer, fine. Just don't reply, nothing is accomplished by such negative comments. Again, this rant is aimed globally. On this forum and many others there are people that reply to questions in such an undermining manner that it makes me want to, well, rant. So with that said,

/rant