PDA

View Full Version : Tire protectors

Goyds
05-17-2012, 12:13 AM
G'day Everyone

I have a question regarding tire protectors. Rule B6.4.2 specifically states "No tire warmers are allowed" however we are obviously aloud to cover our tires when moving the vehicle around (highly recommended). And so my question is this: can we make tire protectors or bags from cloth such as denim or similar or are these likely to be seen as tire warmers.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks
Lloyd Morrissey
Chief Engineer
Team Swinburne 2012

Goyds
05-17-2012, 12:13 AM
G'day Everyone

I have a question regarding tire protectors. Rule B6.4.2 specifically states "No tire warmers are allowed" however we are obviously aloud to cover our tires when moving the vehicle around (highly recommended). And so my question is this: can we make tire protectors or bags from cloth such as denim or similar or are these likely to be seen as tire warmers.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks
Lloyd Morrissey
Chief Engineer
Team Swinburne 2012

CameronBeaton
05-17-2012, 12:31 AM
As long as there is nothing actively heating the tyres. I believe you can make them out of whatever you want.

Dewi Griffiths
05-17-2012, 12:55 AM
As long as there are no heating elements included in them they're fine.

I recall in FSG last year, prior to the Auto X event many teams had the cars parked outside attempting to let the sun warm them. Wearing a black race-suit in the car I was not happy with this decision!

Menisk
05-17-2012, 03:28 AM
A bit of shit talking with my team came up with the idea of inflating the tyres with a couple hundred degree nitrogen at a higher pressure than you want some time before you go on track so that by the time you get there the tyres are at temp and pressure's dropped to what you you want, if it hasn't just let some more out. I'd love to see someone try this. :P

exFSAE
05-17-2012, 04:36 AM
Or just use tires that fire off and work well cold...

Menisk
05-18-2012, 06:48 AM
Key phrase there being "shit talking" :P

Goyds
05-23-2012, 09:21 PM
G'day Everyone

I've received a reply from the local rules committee, see below:
>>
>>Tire covers which do not incorporate actual warming devices and are manufactured from simple >>low thermal insulation materials, such as plastic wrap, canvas, denim etc are acceptable and >>would not be classified as "Tyre Warmers".
>>
>>Formula SAE-A Rules Committee.

Lloyd Morrissey
Chief Engineer
Team Swinburne 2012

ClemsonFSAE
05-24-2012, 07:24 AM
I've had a really hard time finding a place to purchase tire protectors. Any ideas where I can get some good ones?

acedeuce802
05-24-2012, 07:33 AM
I googled "racing tire protector" and found this site that has a FSAE category: http://www.rrtirecovers.com/Pr...ProductCode=68X13SAE (http://www.rrtirecovers.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=68X13SAE). I'd guess they're made to fit the 13" wheels with Ø20.5" tires.

nick roberts
05-24-2012, 02:20 PM
Any idea what they charge for those? I submitted my information but my account is "pending approval".

I had some built for our car which runs the Hoosier 20.5x7 tires that ive thought about selling. Dont have any pictures of them unfortunately.

-nick

DougMilliken
05-25-2012, 07:50 AM
For a no/low cost solution, I saw old tee shirts pulled over tires at a recent competition. Seemed to work well enough. Tee shirt sizes generally change "girth", not length...

Jon Burford
05-25-2012, 09:49 AM
we have some tire covers that were custom made in the past (before my time), they only really serve to protect anyway, just wrap them in cling film and save a lot of money.