PDA

View Full Version : Dry sump kit for Yamaha R6 2003

Henrik Andersson
10-25-2004, 03:02 PM
Is anyone using a dry sump for their R6 engines ? Where did you get it ?

I have looked for suppliers on the web, but none of them seems to have kit for the R6 engine. I found Pace products, www.paceproducts.co.uk (http://www.paceproducts.co.uk) but they only had kits for Kawa and Suzuki.

cms56351
10-25-2004, 03:09 PM
if you find one please tell me

B Dana
10-25-2004, 05:54 PM
Chris and Henrik,

Have you quantified the need for a dry sump for your application? Did you consider an accusump or custom baffling? Just curious...

Cheers,

B. Dana

DanO
10-25-2004, 07:15 PM
You could just make one....

we have been for years.

Dave M
10-25-2004, 10:57 PM
Both pace and dailey engineering make dry sump setups for that engine. They're just not listed. Pace is lower in price but in england, Dailey costs more but is in California. Decisions, Decisions.....

Henrik Andersson
10-25-2004, 11:25 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by B Dana:
Chris and Henrik,

Have you quantified the need for a dry sump for your application? Did you consider an accusump or custom baffling? Just curious...

Cheers,

B. Dana <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

We're just investigating different possibilities right now. We're currently using a stock wet sump that has been lowered ~ 1.5 inch, no problems whatsoever with this setup.

The only reason for using dry sump would be lowering cg and maybe some hp gains due to more efficient lubrication. But on the other hand, the seperate oil tank may not make cg any lower and then there's the weight. It seems that a dry sump may be same or heavier than wet sump.

But you're absolutely right. If there's no real obvious benefit of a dry sump, why use it ?

/henrik

Sarsippius
10-27-2004, 04:49 AM
Isn't there a increase in ponies due to less windage in the fat bit of your engine? Just wondering?

Grover
10-29-2004, 03:16 AM
Highly Doubt it.

Not sure about the CBRs but if you look up the guts of a Series 1 R6 you will notice that the crankshaft is very high within the engine. I would estimate that you'd need ~5 litres of oil (Yamaha suggest 2.5L) for the sump oil to encounter the crank under light cornering, braking and accelleration. There really is a lot of room in there so windage should not be your major concern and certainly not a good enough reason to run a dry sump.
The added weight and complexity over an efficiently baffled wet sump is prohibitive for this engine. Just be careful with baffling and what you do with the oil pump pickup.

However if you really want a dry sump then make it- not such a big job really.
Have a think about removing air from your scavenged oil in-line. Also think about where to run your relief valve. I suggest remotely (ie plumbed into a custom line boss or your scavenge tank) - depends on tank location w/respect to your oil pan.

Chris
Engine/Drivetrain Leader
UNSW FSAE
Australia

Marshall Grice
10-29-2004, 03:34 AM
I would guess he means windage not in the crank in oil sense but more of a pistons in air sense. In that sense yes there is some power to be had from drawing a vacuum in the crank case. Maybe 2-5 hp tops. Coming from a team that has dedicated significant resources to a well baffled oil pan, yes the added complexity of a dry sump is nessasary. We can't keep motors together with our best baffles over 1.5g's. It's a miracle they stay together below that with the amount of time we see 0 psi oil pressure. We do run gsxr's though so maybe your motors are different.

Grover
10-29-2004, 04:16 AM
We have run the stock yamaha sump (1 inch high token baffles) with no problem at up to 1.5-1.7g so yeah I'd say the engines are quite different in this regard.

I hear that Strikers and such, running R1 engines do fine without sump modification even on race rubber, yet the Gixxers require mandatory dry sump systems for the track. Curious.

Grover
10-29-2004, 04:18 AM
WTF??

It seems that my signature has been added to the old messages I posted when I didn't have a sig...

Strange.