PDA

View Full Version : sidepod mounting

Everett Sass
07-26-2013, 01:45 PM
Our team has had some trouble with sidepod mounting in the past, so was wondering what other people find works. We will have a 3 sided sidepod (top bottom & side) and do not want to mount to the undertray. Obviously we are no aloud to drill though the side of the chassie between the rollhoops to stay witvhin the rules

Tomiyama
07-26-2013, 01:52 PM
dzus fasteners have worked for my team in the past.

Racer-X
07-26-2013, 03:16 PM
Tabs and fasteners...

Take your pick on the fasteners, our team has used everything from quick ties to 1/4 turns. Just weld some tabs with pre drilled holes onto the chassis and then drill some corresponding mounting holes in the side pods.

AxelRipper
07-26-2013, 07:35 PM
Another one for dzus fasteners on tabs. It works quite well when everything is lined up. Other ways I could see would be simply bolting it, or like one of our sidepods (exhaust shield) was at one of the competitions: Safety wired to the exhaust.

Everett Sass
07-28-2013, 03:15 PM
our team runs a full carbon fiber monocoque so we can't weld to it. in the past we have bonded on L brackets and used quarter turns but we have had trouble locating them and had them brake off. Would having inlays in the chassis help? would wet laying a flange on the side of the monocoque work?
other ideas?

MCoach
07-28-2013, 07:01 PM
If you look to teams like ETS, they run a monocoque and have been trying to reduce the size of their sidepods over the past few years.

tromoly
07-28-2013, 07:47 PM
From my very limited CF experience, you could try laying a flange or L-bracket into the carbon, IIRC Manitoba used that method on their car at Michigan.