PDA

View Full Version : intake manifold calculations.

AKAY
12-13-2010, 03:00 PM
hey guys.
L = ((EVCD × 0.25 × V × 2) ÷ (rpm × RV)) - ½D
Where: EVCD = Effective Valve Closed Duration
RV = Reflective Value
V = Pressure Wave Speed
D = Runner Diameter.
is it atrue equation for calculate intake runner and if i take runner diameter same as the intake port diameter without any changes along intake runner diameter.
we have honda cbr600rr and iwant to use the stoke throttle body to prevent leakage.
and what about D shape for plenum .

AKAY
12-13-2010, 03:00 PM
hey guys.
L = ((EVCD × 0.25 × V × 2) ÷ (rpm × RV)) - ½D
Where: EVCD = Effective Valve Closed Duration
RV = Reflective Value
V = Pressure Wave Speed
D = Runner Diameter.
is it atrue equation for calculate intake runner and if i take runner diameter same as the intake port diameter without any changes along intake runner diameter.
we have honda cbr600rr and iwant to use the stoke throttle body to prevent leakage.
and what about D shape for plenum .

DanVaan
12-13-2010, 03:28 PM
Think about what the equation is trying to solve for, and double check it yourself. The same runner and port diameters is a pretty fair assumption, just be ready to tell the judges why you did it. Also, remember that the length in these equations starts at the back of the valve.

The only problem with the stock throttle body is that the rules prohibit throttle bodies after the restrictor, unless you plan to bolt it on and then remove the butterflies. This is definitely an easy way to incorporate the fuel rail and mounts while also reducing the number of machined components. You should be able to just weld your runners onto the throttle body as well.

As for the plenum, there are number of SAE papers that evaluate the different styles/shapes, so a quick search should help you out there.

AKAY
12-13-2010, 03:57 PM
thanks DAN and please i want to know
EVCD=720-(ECD-(20:30)).
IF THIS EQUATIO TRUE WHEN ECD FROME ENGINE SPECIFICATIONS WAHT IS THE (20:30) I GET IT FROM A BOOK (INDUCTION SYSTEMS)........AND THANKS ALOT

Mbirt
12-14-2010, 08:10 PM
The 20-30 is how many degrees before the intake valve's closing you want to cram in the reflected wave. Twenty should be used for a relatively low-duration intake lobe profile, like a lawnmower, while 30 should be used for long-duration intake lobes, like a 12,000 rpm drag racing lawnmower.

AKAY
12-15-2010, 08:17 AM
thanks Mbrit.

Drew Price
12-15-2010, 01:38 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mbirt:
20 should be used for a relatively low-duration intake lobe profile, like a lawnmower, while 30 should be used for long-duration intake lobes, like a 12,000 rpm drag racing lawnmower. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Oh my god, it's been so long since I've laughed like that. I might put this on the wall next to my desk.

Mbirt
12-16-2010, 10:35 AM
Not only has this spawned wall decoration, but a signature also...

wagemd
12-21-2010, 12:04 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Drew Price:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mbirt:
20 should be used for a relatively low-duration intake lobe profile, like a lawnmower, while 30 should be used for long-duration intake lobes, like a 12,000 rpm drag racing lawnmower. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Oh my god, it's been so long since I've laughed like that. I might put this on the wall next to my desk. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

+1

Mbirt
12-21-2010, 02:18 PM
I know there's other engine guys out there that also wish their engine would start on EFI without cracking a crankcase half. I also know it's the holiday season and what thought it causes to cross a stressed engine guy's mind. So I'm doing my best to spread cheer to them before they choose to end it all.

Homemade WRX
01-25-2011, 11:43 AM
I know it's been a while since I've really poked around here but is it just me or is no one bothering to research and/or get hands on with what they're doing?...

Edward M. Kasprzak
01-25-2011, 01:44 PM
There are lots of students are doing good research and getting hands on. They're not as noticeable because they don't ask silly/irresponsible questions. I think the large number of students stepping up to frown upon irresponsible posts is a much better metric of where things really stand. And some of these threads have very nice discussions.

Mbirt
01-29-2011, 11:33 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Homemade WRX:
I know it's been a while since I've really poked around here but is it just me or is no one bothering to research and/or get hands on with what they're doing?... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

There's a discussion on here, with much input RollingCamel, I believe, about the negative attitude toward manual work among Asian intellectuals. While most of us long to be wrenching in the SAE garage while we're sitting in the classroom, the sentiment isn't necessarily shared by the developing teams overseas. I searched for the thread, but couldn't find it.