PDA

View Full Version : CFD software

ahjayeson
08-16-2004, 07:35 AM
Hi
Can some enlightened soul out there kindly advise on what CFD software u guys r using?

Thx lots.....

ahjayeson
08-16-2004, 07:35 AM
Hi
Can some enlightened soul out there kindly advise on what CFD software u guys r using?

Thx lots.....

Joel Miller
08-19-2004, 07:35 AM
We use Fluent with Gambit and TGrid preprocessors to do our aerodynamic analyses, Ricardo Wave for engine related stuff.

We have used Fluent in the past for plenum simulations and did have a look at making a full engine model in it. By all accounts, RW is much better for this application.

We had a go at using Cosmos for aero too, it is really easy to use and has an excellent user interface with nice integration with the CAD software (SolidWorks). And you don't have to manually mesh. Did find it to be a bit limiting for heavy duty CFD work though...

Paul V.
08-22-2004, 05:19 PM
We use ESI Groups CFD Software. Expensive, and a bit complicated, but its the most accurate out there.

woollymoof
08-23-2004, 04:23 PM
Used to use FIRE but had REAL issues with divergence, probably due to my lack of experience with the software and CFD in general, so I gave up.

Started to use Cosmos Floworks as Joel said and got most of my suff done. It's very memory dependent and I can't really run anything properly if it has thin internal walls (have to specify the thickness so Floworks knows how fine to make the mesh as to not loose these features). And I don't know how accurate the code is.

With or without Floworks problems, there is no way I could have made the gains with our intake if I didn't use CFD.