PDA

View Full Version : UK metric sized mild steel tube supplier

Yunlong Xu
12-06-2010, 07:09 PM
Hi guys,

Does anyone know a decent UK metric size mild steel tube supplier?

It seems that all the UK suppliers do imperial sizes only and we need to go for continental companies to get metric sized ones which is really not ideal.

cheers,
yunlong

RollingCamel
12-06-2010, 07:19 PM
I don't remember what the name of the company but there was a British team which was buying its steel from Germany. In fact the supplier gave it for free, IIRC.

Tech Guy
12-07-2010, 10:26 AM
Yunlong,
Why don't you use Imperial size tube and support UK industry?

Tickers
12-07-2010, 10:32 AM
Why support them when they don't have what he's after?

I hate the fact that we're still stuck with imperial for some things over here.

Yunlong Xu
12-07-2010, 01:03 PM
This year we are trying to switch everything to metric. The problem with imperial sized stuff is when you need to borrow something like a bolt or a rodend at a competition in Europe, all most all of the continental teams(the rich ones...)use metric stuff...

Also it makes things easier since all our calculations and analysis were performed in SI unit

Tech Guy
12-07-2010, 01:52 PM
While I can see the rationale for using metric fasteners and rod ends, etc., it doesn't mean you are stuck with metric tubing.

PatClarke
12-07-2010, 09:20 PM
Mmmmmmm.....

You will really have to justify metric rod ends to the judges!

Pat

The AFX Master
12-07-2010, 10:26 PM
I was also in a team stuck in the imperial system. Never liked it, and the team just dont change their mind about it thanks to a ten year inertia.

@PatClarke: Do you mean that metric hardware implies inferior quality or something?. Almost all of the very best hardware components are aircraft specīd, and theyīre metric.

I think the world needs to shift entirely and for all on the SI system, itīs just evolution.

Luniz
12-08-2010, 12:18 AM
The rules for the frame members are in a way that allows you to use slightly thinner/lighter tubing when using imperials. So why not stick with imperials for this one?

PatClarke
12-08-2010, 03:20 AM
AFXM,
No, I am stating nothing of the sort.
Check your facts about metric hardware.
I am no Luddite, I am fully 'metrified' so please don't preach about the inevitability of SI. The only inevitabilities are death and taxes!

Again, if you are going to use metric fasteners or rod ends etc, be prepared to defend that decision before the judges =]

Pat

Yunlong Xu
12-08-2010, 11:33 AM
Originally posted by PatClarke:
Mmmmmmm.....

You will really have to justify metric rod ends to the judges!

Pat

Hi Pat, I don't quite understand this. What's the problem with metric Rod ends?

exFSAE
12-08-2010, 01:45 PM
The typical high-grade hardware I'm familiar with (AN and NAS) are sized English. Personally I prefer NAS (National Aerospace Standard) because of better tolerance on shank diameter. So to say that all 'good aircraft stuff' is Metric is BS. But, those are just the ones I'm familiar with... suppose there could be metric analogs in Far Away Lands.

With regard to moving the whole world to SI.. yea right. Of course, I can only speak from experience in the US. Think of the logistical nightmare of changing all the equipment in machine shops across America to Metric machinery instead of English. Yes, CNC's don't really care what your units are, but there is an immense amount of manual equipment around. All the milling cutters that are sized English, the tool holders, yatta yatta yatta. Immense undertaking to change it all over. Will it happen with a gradual transition? Maybe, but not in our lifetime. And for what?

In college and at jobs I've had to do probably an equal amount of work in Imperial and in Metric units. Equally as easy. Given that engineers for years and years have had no problem picking up and working with the English system, I don't see how it's all of the sudden "too hard" or "too strange" to learn. And honestly, of all the engineering work you have to do... figuring out how many inches are in a foot is probably the absolute least challenging aspect of anything.

/rant

RobbyObby
12-08-2010, 11:40 PM
Its pretty amusing watching these threads start out in one direction and end up in a completely different one. http://fsae.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Originally posted by Luniz:
The rules for the frame members are in a way that allows you to use slightly thinner/lighter tubing when using imperials. So why not stick with imperials for this one?
On the contrary, I actually went so far as to quantify the weight savings of properly sizing the chassis tubes and with the exception of the Roll Hoop tubing (IIRC), using metric tubing would've actually saved about a pound of weight overall over using imperial. I couldn't really take advantage of this though since we here in America are still stuck with imperial sizing, and I couldn't justify the extra hassle for just 1 lb, but it was interesting to figure out nonetheless.

Originally posted by exFSAE:
Given that engineers for years and years have had no problem picking up and working with the English system, I don't see how it's all of the sudden "too hard" or "too strange" to learn. And honestly, of all the engineering work you have to do... figuring out how many inches are in a foot is probably the absolute least challenging aspect of anything.

I cant help but think of the Mars Climate Orbiter when reading this. http://fsae.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif
Thank you Jimmy Carter!

murpia
12-09-2010, 05:53 AM
On SI vs. Imperial, if all you are dealing with is the dimension of length while manufacturing, it make little practical difference. Anyway in my opinion the adoption of the 'thou' is an implicit admission of defeat in that regard...

However, try and perform any remotely useful engineering calculation involving forces, energy, power, heat transfer or fluid flow in anything other than mks SI and you are asking for trouble...

Regards, Ian

Michael Royce
12-11-2010, 05:50 AM
The US auto industry has used SI units for at least 25 years, although many of us "old timers" still think in inches when doing certain things, like bearing clearances when rebuilding an engine.