PDA

View Full Version : how to turn to a dry-sump oil system

KIMI
12-22-2010, 11:19 PM
Please introduce the important things we need to pay attention when turn to a dry-sump oil system .Thank you~~

KIMI
12-22-2010, 11:19 PM
Please introduce the important things we need to pay attention when turn to a dry-sump oil system .Thank you~~

Vassili Wang
12-23-2010, 12:59 AM
you need a pump, an oil pan etc.

Design the pan carefully, and take care of sealing.

good luck

Mehul Botadra
12-23-2010, 01:39 AM
Tank position and engine inclination matters as well!

Wesley
12-23-2010, 10:44 PM
Is the dry-sump a nice person? Does it use foul language in public? Is it dependable?

I wouldn't turn to anyone I didn't think would listen to me and cared about me, or who wasn't a good person. It needs to listen, and like me for who I am.

But seriously. What does an oil system need to do? You need to answer that question before you design one. Once you realize what the physical constraints and requirements are, the rest of the design work falls in to place.

Adambomb
12-29-2010, 09:52 AM
Personally I think it's another one of those deals where if you have to ask, it's a bad idea. I've been doing this for a while, and I've seen quite a few teams attempt it, and learned that it almost always (with one or two novel exceptions) requires a ton of resources (esp. time, the shortest resource in FSAE), and almost always causes problems. 9/10 times, if you're lucky, you'll make it half-way through endurance.

Bemo
12-29-2010, 01:30 PM
Well, it's not impossible to design a dry sump. We're driving with dry sump sinca 08 and never failed finishing endurance because of it.

But once again especially for you KIMI. Nobody on this forum will do the design work for you. It's like always. Ask for constraints and requirements of the system (like Wesley already mentioned) and then design!

Homemade WRX
01-25-2011, 11:38 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Adambomb:
Personally I think it's another one of those deals where if you have to ask, it's a bad idea. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'll second that. I'll also say to datalog the crankcase pressure during your testing and developement.