PDA

View Full Version : Turbo oil control

powered by wattard
10-29-2004, 05:41 PM
Have any teams got on top of the turbo/oil issue under vaccuum conditions without using carbon seals which hurt turbo spool rate and throttle response, or do you just live with the oil consumption.

Anybody know the names of the Garrett engineers in the States dealing with this problem. Have Garrett US found a solution yet.

Will Attard

powered by wattard
10-29-2004, 05:41 PM
Have any teams got on top of the turbo/oil issue under vaccuum conditions without using carbon seals which hurt turbo spool rate and throttle response, or do you just live with the oil consumption.

Anybody know the names of the Garrett engineers in the States dealing with this problem. Have Garrett US found a solution yet.

Will Attard

Ashley Denmead
10-29-2004, 11:35 PM
carbon seals are the go....we're still running our 03 car without any problems.....its making >80hp and seems very reliable...in that department anyway! haha oil consumption isnt bad either.....i dunno how you quantify whats acceptable and what isnt though.....just consider it upper cylinder lubricant http://fsae.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif. throttle response is pretty good too.

CornellGixxer
10-31-2004, 09:32 AM
We're looking at a few non-sealed turbos this year and for the moment we're running an electric oil scavenge pump to keep oil consumption under control. A dry sump system would also work and wouldnt drain the battery.

I wouldn't count on Garett to the carbon seals on their turbos either.

Robert
11-01-2004, 10:16 AM
Hey Will I was the lead on the turbo efforts at WWU last year and we decided to ditch the turbo after contacting several people at Garrett.

We were told to run 15 to 30 psi of oil pressure to the turbo and that scavaging with a dry sump system would help. (which we had already done) This did help a lot however it did not solve the problem. (about 1 quart every 40 min)

I asked them about different seals for the turbo and was told that oil consumption was not a problem on the application for which the turbo was designed. (because it did not use a restricter and was never under heavy vacuum conditions)Because of this they we not working on the problem.

So I say good luck!

I personally feel research efforts would be better spent on other areas. Cams, intake, exhaust, and weight reduction.

waz
11-07-2004, 11:59 PM
Garrett fitted carbon seals to our turbo and sealing wise they work a treat, We have no noticable oil loss and no real blue smoke.

The seal however was very tight at first though. It has loosened up to negitgible resistance now however we get significant turbo lag.