PDA

View Full Version : About the diff housing

Albatross
10-28-2004, 04:34 PM
Hi everybody!! I am a memeber of the new team that participated in last F-Student 2004 racing for Madrid!

I´m taking care of the drive train this year for my first time and I have a pair of questions:

I don't know whether to fasten the cylinder around the housing of the diff to the parts carrying the brake disc and the crown. I mean, to seal the whole. The cylinder may be affected by torsional efforts... or not?

We want to mount the brake disc on this. Can it heat the diff too much?

If you need anything, I'll try to help!!

Albatross
10-28-2004, 04:34 PM
Hi everybody!! I am a memeber of the new team that participated in last F-Student 2004 racing for Madrid!

I´m taking care of the drive train this year for my first time and I have a pair of questions:

I don't know whether to fasten the cylinder around the housing of the diff to the parts carrying the brake disc and the crown. I mean, to seal the whole. The cylinder may be affected by torsional efforts... or not?

We want to mount the brake disc on this. Can it heat the diff too much?

If you need anything, I'll try to help!!

jack
10-28-2004, 04:48 PM
why do you want to mount the brake to the diff, other than weight?

fade
10-29-2004, 05:00 AM
For the first question im not sure what your asking but your design will dictate if you load through the cylinder around the housing and using bolts to seal and transmit torque can cause problems if your not careful. As for the heat soak effects of mounting the rotor to the diff this all depends on your design of the diff as well as how you mount the rotor to the diff.

Albatross
10-31-2004, 07:43 AM
Thans guys,

For Jack: we want to mout the brake on the diff to save weight and to reduce the unsprung mass. I think they're good enough reasons. I beg you don't thing so... Have you ever had any trouble with braking wiht a sole disc rear?

For Fade: we are using the Torsen with its own housing, but we need an outside housing to avoid oil going out. This Outside Housing is is made of three parts: A Sprocket mount fastened to the diff (I mean, to the diff's own housing), a brake disc mount fastened to the other face of the diff and an aluminium cylinder closing the whole. I don't know if I can fasten this cylinder to these mounts, because of the torsional efforts