PDA

View Full Version : Floated Caliper or Fixed One???

alijoon8
05-02-2009, 04:16 AM
whats the diffrences between the fixed and floated calipers?whats the advantages and disadvantages?

alijoon8
05-02-2009, 04:16 AM
whats the diffrences between the fixed and floated calipers?whats the advantages and disadvantages?

STRETCH
05-02-2009, 05:17 AM
Helo again,

With a floating caliper, u'll only find pistons on one side. Therefore the main body of the caliper will slide on pins so that equal force is applied by both pads. The only advantage is cost, hence why they are used as standard on most road cars. They contain a lot of flex compared to fixed calipers though, so should be avoided in racing apps.

A quick google will give you 100x more information than this though!

Dave K
05-03-2009, 08:01 PM
If you are asking this, you should also ask about the advantages and disadvantages of fixed and floating rotors.

(google this as well, or use the search function)

Garlic
05-03-2009, 08:07 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Dave K:
If you are asking this, you should also ask about the advantages and disadvantages of fixed and floating rotors. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Why must these questions be asked together? Either type of rotor can be used with either type of caliper. And the reason for floating rotors is not the same reason for floating calipers.

Or are you just assuming that the poster knows nothing about brakes?

Drew Price
05-03-2009, 08:47 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by STRETCH:
With a floating caliper, u'll only find pistons on one side. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I was under the impression that this was called a yoke caliper, and isn't the same as floating the caliper on it's mounting points. I classify this as a style of fixed mounted caliper.

As usual, I could be off base though.

Best,
Drew