PDA

View Full Version : Honeycomb Supplier

Ian G
02-26-2007, 06:15 AM
Alrighty,

So, I know at least one other team has run into the same problem I'm about to elaborate on, so that likely means there are more, and hopefully someone has found a solution to it by now.

Hexcel doesn't sell to the general public any more. A block of aluminum honeycomb that once cost 300USD now costs 1500USD from Texas Almat, the only supplier we've found in North America. Being that we aren't totally frivolous with our spending, I am kinda hoping there's a cheaper alternative.

I am going around to aerospace companies in the region and asking them if they would purchase on our behalf from Hexcel; I'm emailing all of you who I've had contact with in the recent past; I'm banging my head against a wall http://fsae.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif.

So, aside from getting flamed, can anyone reply with something to brighten up my day? You know you wanna, c'mon!

Regards,

Ian Greig
Team Manager
University of Windsor FSAE
fsae.uwindsor.ca

SpdRcr
02-26-2007, 06:58 AM
Texas Almat...We spent a couple hundred bucks...

Dan Lentsch
03-22-2007, 05:16 AM
do you guys either have a website or a phone # for this Texas Almat place? I've done some searching but have had no luck in finding anything..
thanks

Gareth
03-22-2007, 05:36 AM
http://www.plascore.com

Joel VanderMarel
03-22-2007, 07:31 AM
Hey all,
We just bought a 4'x8' sheet of 2.62 MPa 1/4" cell sheet of aluminum honeycomb. It's also 7" thick. We'd definitely be willing to sell parts of it off if there are interested parties out there.

Joel
Team Manager 2007
University of Western Ontario

kwancho
03-22-2007, 07:49 PM
We're interested. Email address?

Ian G
03-22-2007, 08:41 PM
Hey Everyone,

We actually purchased from Plascore and we are in much the same situation as Western. We have alot of 11"x12"x6" 3/8" cell, 3.6 density ACG 3003 non-perf honeycomb if anyone would like to purchase some. We expect delivery around April 3rd, so as soon as we get it we could send it out to whomever wants some.

Thanks for the help,

Ian Greig
Team Manager
University of Windsor FSAE
fsae.uwindsor.ca

Joel VanderMarel
03-23-2007, 09:54 PM
Alex and any other interested parties,

You can email us at fsae@uwo.ca

We're looking to sell it at $1.00 CAD/in^2, plus shipping. Our crash is about 4.42" high by 7.87" wide by 6.3" long (just over minimum dimensions), which is about 35 square inches. It also weighs 300 grams.
We'd also be willing to cut it to any size you want since we simply have a big sheet of it.

Cheers
Joel VanderMarel
Team Manager 2007
University of Western Ontario

Craig Bradley
03-27-2007, 02:46 PM
We also have honeycomb we would be prepared to cut up for re-sale(UK based).

It is 5052 type aluminium with the following characteristics

Density: 4.5lb/ft3
Cell Size: 1/8 inch
Foil Thickness: 1/100 inch
The sheet is 20mm thick

If anyone is interested email me at ttcdb2@lboro.ac.uk if you would like me to ask for a quote or if you need any more information