PDA

View Full Version : Intake CFD with FloWorks

Sten2350
03-24-2005, 04:52 PM
I'm looking for some help with performing flow analysis for intakes using FloWorks. At the moment, I'm not looking to try to simulate pulsed flow or do anything fancy...I'm just trying to get some quasi-realistic results for a basic flow with all four runners open.

I was a FloWorks virgin up until about a week or two ago, so I've tried to set up boundary conditions and output goals somewhat along the lines of what is provided in tutorials that I've seen. I'm pretty sure my model's good-to-go, but my test today showed that my flow had an inlet pressure of about 20 MPa (or 200 times atmospheric)! http://fsae.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_eek.gif

I'm assuming there may be a problem with my boundary conditions or output goals.? So, here's what I did...maybe someone can provide some guidance.

BC's: Inlet Velocity = 94 m/s
Outlet Static Pressure = 101.325 kPa (I wasn't sure if P(atm) was correct to use?)
Specified internal surface as "Ideal Walls" (right/wrong???)
Goals: Inlet Total Pressure
Outlet Total Pressure (wasn't sure if this was right to do either.)

I tried to keep it real basic and used steady-state analysis with laminar flow, and took surface roughness = 2.25 micrometers. I'd really like to get the analysis to indicate exit velocity at each runner (or something of the sort) and achieve a legitimate pressure and velocity flowfield in the intake for design comparison. As I said, I'm trying to get the hang of this (as quickly as possible), so any advice/insight or even basic hints for using FloWorks would be much appreciated!

Thanks, Austen

BeaverGuy
03-25-2005, 12:41 PM
The big problem with your analysis is your boundary conditions. An outlet pressure at atmoshperic would be great but it is far from realisitic. The pressure to use is dependent on the situation you are trying to model. Also, you should probably use a pressure boundary condition at the inlet. I know the tutorials don't reccomend using two of the same type of boundary condition but that is what you need to do to get reasonable results.