PDA

View Full Version : gear position sensor

muhammad shiraz
07-29-2011, 09:48 AM
hi , is it any other reliable way to accurately find the current gear position without installing gps(gear position sensor)as cbr 600rr(2008) have no stock gps

cheers

muhammad shiraz
07-29-2011, 09:48 AM
hi , is it any other reliable way to accurately find the current gear position without installing gps(gear position sensor)as cbr 600rr(2008) have no stock gps

cheers

Simon Dingle
07-29-2011, 10:18 AM
Not while stationary.

You can get the gear position while the car's running by fitting rear wheel speed sensors and comparing the average wheel speed to the engine speed.

Sormaz
07-29-2011, 10:40 AM
The engine also has a built in neutral sensor. It's just a wire you have to hold high and it will be grounded when the car is in neutral. Between this and calculating your active gear ratio, you should be fine.

If you really want to, people have had success putting a potentiometer on the shifter drum, search around the forums for that

JasperC
07-29-2011, 11:50 AM
Last year we used a Hall effect sensor on the shifter drum. That should give you a pretty reliable signal on the exact position of the drum (which is also very useful for troubleshooting shifting problems).

muhammad shiraz
08-01-2011, 04:19 AM
thank u very much for your useful comments,does any one install potentiometer on the cbr 600 shift drum? currently i am facing some serious space & packaging issues regarding the installation of potentiometer on the cbr 600rr shift drum.please guide me from your huge experience

Zac
08-01-2011, 05:55 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by muhammad shiraz:
thank u very much for your useful comments,does any one install potentiometer on the cbr 600 shift drum? currently i am facing some serious space & packaging issues regarding the installation of potentiometer on the cbr 600rr shift drum.please guide me from your huge experience </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Now you're just looking for a handout.

Sormaz
08-01-2011, 09:05 AM
Release the hounds...

Adambomb
08-01-2011, 01:47 PM
Why do you need a sensor to know what gear you're in (other than neutral)? Most people who ride CBR 600RRs on the street (or almost any other sportbike for that matter) get by just fine without a sensor to tell them what gear they're in...

Spetsnazos
08-01-2011, 03:25 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Adambomb:
Why do you need a sensor to know what gear you're in (other than neutral)? Most people who ride CBR 600RRs on the street (or almost any other sportbike for that matter) get by just fine without a sensor to tell them what gear they're in... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Cool factor

Kirby
08-03-2011, 02:41 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Adambomb:
Why do you need a sensor to know what gear you're in (other than neutral)? Most people who ride CBR 600RRs on the street (or almost any other sportbike for that matter) get by just fine without a sensor to tell them what gear they're in... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

effective shift cuts REQUIRE an absolute gear (drum) position sensor.

Not really required in DAQ as it can be generated with a maths channel.

EDIT: If your drivers seem to "require" a gear indicator to tell them what gear they are in, they need more practice in the car.

carbon_black
08-03-2011, 05:45 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">effective shift cuts REQUIRE an absolute gear (drum) position sensor. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

No - we shift solely via a pneumatic system with ignition cut and it works fine - no gear position data anywhere in sight.

Garlic
08-03-2011, 06:43 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Kirby:

effective shift cuts REQUIRE an absolute gear (drum) position sensor.

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Not true at all, though it gives more control options.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">
EDIT: If your drivers seem to "require" a gear indicator to tell them what gear they are in, they need more practice in the car. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Tell that to any pro driver. Anyone I've worked with would pitch a fit if they didn't have their gear indicator. Sometimes shifts get missed, and it is extremely valuable to know when. Calculated gear numbers are not quick enough to tell you this.

Chris B
08-03-2011, 01:57 PM
i agree with both sides of this argument, while a gear position indicator is handy for knowing what gear you're in, particularly if you're wqorried about shifting issues i also understand the point being made about not needing one. its about knowing your car. if you're drivers have enough seat time they'll be integral part of the car and will be able to tell what gear they're in without needing a sensor to tell them. we don't have a gear position sensor and its not a problem. although a shift light and a light to indicate neutral (coz neutral is sometimes hard to find)are on the way to help with launches etc.

nsm_591
08-29-2011, 10:45 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by JasperC:
Last year we used a Hall effect sensor on the shifter drum. That should give you a pretty reliable signal on the exact position of the drum (which is also very useful for troubleshooting shifting problems). </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Can anyone please tell me how this hall effect sensor output has been used to determine the gear position ? We've tried using a potentiometer on cbr600 F4i for the same but we're facing sealing and space issues.So I'm looking for an alternative that is compatible with the MOTEC.The thought of using a VR or Hall sensor occured to me but I'm not able to figure out whether its possible to implement it for the purpose.

Kirk Feldkamp
08-30-2011, 01:51 PM
Use a rotary potentiometer. This doesn't need to be rocket surgery.

murpia
09-01-2011, 04:31 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by nsm_591:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by JasperC:
Last year we used a Hall effect sensor on the shifter drum. That should give you a pretty reliable signal on the exact position of the drum (which is also very useful for troubleshooting shifting problems). </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Can anyone please tell me how this hall effect sensor output has been used to determine the gear position ? We've tried using a potentiometer on cbr600 rr for the same but we're facing sealing and space issues.So I'm looking for an alternative that is compatible with the MOTEC.The thought of using a VR or Hall sensor occured to me but I'm not able to figure out whether its possible to implement it for the purpose. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
The Hall effect is simply the electrical measurement of a magnetic field.

There are many types of sensor that utilise the Hall effect, including the kinds that act like a non-contact potentiometer, and the kinds that get used as crank sensors...

Honeywell, Penny & Giles, Gill or Variohm would be good places to start your research.

Regards, Ian