PDA

View Full Version : Design considerations: order of events?

Mortar Hedd
05-04-2010, 05:13 AM
Hello, and thanks everyone for having me.

I'm looking to build my first proper race car from the ground up, but rather than jumping in without knowing where I'm going in the first place, it was obvious that it'd be best to ask the people who are in the business of ground-up design, construction and testing(ie. FSAE teams and members) I've built club cars before with off-the shelf bits, and have recently sold up my own car to begin a new project.

However, I'm a bit stuck, and here's where I need help: when designing a race car, what are the most important things to consider first, and what are the things that come out ahead when compromises need to be made? There's basically one rule that I've set out for myself in this build, and that is to design and build as much of the car as I can, on my own. The less outsourcing, the better(for my wallet, and for my learning process)

Any help you would be willing to give would be greatly appreciated, thank you so much for your time! http://fsae.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Mortar Hedd
05-04-2010, 05:13 AM
Hello, and thanks everyone for having me.

I'm looking to build my first proper race car from the ground up, but rather than jumping in without knowing where I'm going in the first place, it was obvious that it'd be best to ask the people who are in the business of ground-up design, construction and testing(ie. FSAE teams and members) I've built club cars before with off-the shelf bits, and have recently sold up my own car to begin a new project.

However, I'm a bit stuck, and here's where I need help: when designing a race car, what are the most important things to consider first, and what are the things that come out ahead when compromises need to be made? There's basically one rule that I've set out for myself in this build, and that is to design and build as much of the car as I can, on my own. The less outsourcing, the better(for my wallet, and for my learning process)

Any help you would be willing to give would be greatly appreciated, thank you so much for your time! http://fsae.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Thomas MuWe
05-05-2010, 04:08 AM
Big questions:

1. What is your budget?
2. What is your time frame?
3. What are your skills? (Maybe, Engine-knowledge extremely good, but no idea of suspension design)
4. What is the goal with your car? ( good reliability, much power, low running costs [fuel consumption, low tire wear, etc..], good handling, environmentally friendly [in the US maybe not as important as in Europe] etc.) -> consider the rules for a racing series!!!!
5. What can you buy and what can you make yourself?

These are basic questions. If you have that sorted out, than you can begin with technical concepts that will help you to achieve your goals.
For more help I would ask for more information.
Any way, in building your own car you will learn a lot even if you will buy some parts because you have to choose what to buy.

Mortar Hedd
05-05-2010, 04:38 AM
Thanks so much for that Thomas. Might I PM you with the answers if that's not too much to ask?

Thanks for that.

Thomas MuWe
05-05-2010, 10:49 AM
No problem, just write me a PM and I will do whatever I can do.

exFSAE
05-05-2010, 02:29 PM
When compromises need to be made...

1. It's gotta be feasible enough to build.

2. If you're gonna race, having a car that breaks halfway through the event is a waste of time. Gotta have some guts to it.

Mortar Hedd
05-06-2010, 03:28 AM
Will do Thomas, thanks again!

efFSAE, it'll need to be able to take a hammering unfortunately, so being a featherweight is definitely out. No-one wants contact, but it should be expected. And designed for.

fixitmattman
06-02-2010, 04:24 PM
A slower car that finishes the race will always beat a faster car that's broke and in the pits.