PDA

View Full Version : F4i on stock ECU not running?

MercerFSAE C. Burch
04-07-2004, 06:20 AM
Hi all. We've recently purchased an f4i motor and proceeded to wire everything up and bypass every sensor we thought necessary to get the stock computer running but to no success. The engine will crank freely, the fuel pump is working fine, but for some reason, the computer will not fire the spark plugs and we're pretty sure it isn't operating the fuel injectors either. We thought it might be a problem with the bank angle sensor, so we bypassed that also... ECU still not working.

Has anybody else out there purchased an F4i motor and tried to get it running with the stock computer? If so, were you able to get it running and how? Or if you weren't able to get it running, do you have any guesses as to what might be the cause. We would just take it to our local bike shop, but they want to charge us $80/hr to look at it.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks,

Christopher D. Burch
Bear Motorsports FSAE
Mercer University, Macon, GA

MercerFSAE C. Burch
04-07-2004, 06:20 AM
Hi all. We've recently purchased an f4i motor and proceeded to wire everything up and bypass every sensor we thought necessary to get the stock computer running but to no success. The engine will crank freely, the fuel pump is working fine, but for some reason, the computer will not fire the spark plugs and we're pretty sure it isn't operating the fuel injectors either. We thought it might be a problem with the bank angle sensor, so we bypassed that also... ECU still not working.

Has anybody else out there purchased an F4i motor and tried to get it running with the stock computer? If so, were you able to get it running and how? Or if you weren't able to get it running, do you have any guesses as to what might be the cause. We would just take it to our local bike shop, but they want to charge us $80/hr to look at it.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks,

Christopher D. Burch
Bear Motorsports FSAE
Mercer University, Macon, GA

fsae_alum
04-07-2004, 06:52 AM
Things that will keep it from running are:
1.) Anti-theft mechanism built into ignition switch
2.) Bank Angle sensor
3.) Kick stand switch

Are you using the stock gauge cluster? Are you using the stock ignition switch? Are you using the stock relays? If not, those could all potentially be sources of your problems....

IMO (and from past experience), much easier to start with a complete wrecked bike, get it running, and then bypass one component at a time, making sure it runs each time.

Charlie
04-07-2004, 08:58 AM
I've never dne it but I've seen many posts about using a resistor to bypass the anti-theft system... do a search. http://fsae.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

bigtoyota9
04-07-2004, 10:58 AM
yeah we had to jumper the bank angle, and the kick stand switches. Also we had to plug a dash into the stock harness along with an ignition switch. We borrowed both of those from a local bike shop. That is the only way we found that it would work. Im sure you could figure out someway to by-pass the gauge cluster and Ingnition key switch, but we didnt take the time.

We went throught the same process last year and when we plugged the dash and ingnition key up it started right away.

El Mug
04-07-2004, 09:50 PM
hi, if the fuel pump start when you pass the ignition switch, then your proble is not the bank angle or the anti thief system (easy to evoid) you should have a miss conection of some sensor check out the igniton pulse or the cam pulse generator.
Use the engine check system is pretty useful in this cases.

MercerFSAE C. Burch
04-07-2004, 10:40 PM
Thanks for the help. We just went ahead and bought the PE-LTD ecu since we were going to use it anyways. We don't have an ignition switch or a dash to plug in so those aren't really options.

-Chris