PDA

View Full Version : Energy dissipation

Tomix
10-07-2010, 03:27 PM
Hello!

Sorry for asking this kind of silly question. Though I search the whole forum, I still can not understand what is meant by energy dissipation that needs to be checked in safe equivalency form for alternative materials. English is obviously not my native language so I have serious issues finding this out . I noticed energy dissipetion is used in different aspects of technology so I am wondering if anyone could tell me, what is the meaning of it here.

Thanks

Tomix
10-07-2010, 03:27 PM
Hello!

Sorry for asking this kind of silly question. Though I search the whole forum, I still can not understand what is meant by energy dissipation that needs to be checked in safe equivalency form for alternative materials. English is obviously not my native language so I have serious issues finding this out . I noticed energy dissipetion is used in different aspects of technology so I am wondering if anyone could tell me, what is the meaning of it here.

Thanks

wagemd
10-07-2010, 05:32 PM
Hm, Ill try an example...

Energy can be dissipated when a moving object with a mass is brought to rest (energy is dissipated when you use your brakes to stop a car). The ability of a composite structure to resist an impact is also an energy dissipation.

Wesley
10-08-2010, 05:24 AM
F=ma

KE=PE

1/2mv^2 = mgh = mc deltaT = Q

Generally refers to conversion of kinetic energy into heat, or transferring of heat to an ambient medium, (like brakes or a radiator does)

But like wagemd said, can also refer to trying to reduce the overall magnitude of the energy flux generated by an accelerating mass (like the impact attenuator is supposed to do)