PDA

View Full Version : 10" Tire Data

swong46
09-04-2011, 06:33 PM
Hey everyone,
I want to ask all the teams using 10" tires what you are doing for data? We want to run the Hoosier 43105's (18x7.5-10, R25B) but of course the closest data is the R25A version or the 13" version.

Second question is can the 13" tire data be used (with certain precautions)? My guess is since the side wall is taller, SAT will increase slightly, peak slip ratio will go up also, and other stuff.

swong46
09-04-2011, 06:33 PM
Hey everyone,
I want to ask all the teams using 10" tires what you are doing for data? We want to run the Hoosier 43105's (18x7.5-10, R25B) but of course the closest data is the R25A version or the 13" version.

Second question is can the 13" tire data be used (with certain precautions)? My guess is since the side wall is taller, SAT will increase slightly, peak slip ratio will go up also, and other stuff.

Adambomb
09-06-2011, 03:16 PM
As I recall the R25Bs perform quite similarly to the R25As, the main difference was it is supposed to be a longer lasting compound.

RobbyObby
09-07-2011, 02:33 AM
What you can do is compare the 10" vs 13" R25A data and see what the correlation is, then use that same correlation to extrapolate the 10" R25B data from the 13" data. That's what we've done in the past and it seems to give pretty good results, at least preliminary.

Edward M. Kasprzak
09-07-2011, 03:58 AM
+1 to Adambomb and RobbyObby.

Or wait until early 2012 for Round 5 of TTC testing. We're planning now, and we definitely want to test the new Hoosier 10s.

Mike Cook
09-07-2011, 07:17 PM
lco es no bueno

flavorPacket
09-07-2011, 10:45 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mike Cook:
lco es no bueno </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I love it. All the 10" teams should make a shirt that says that.

Schneebi
11-06-2011, 06:29 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by RobbyObby:
What you can do is compare the 10" vs 13" R25A data and see what the correlation is, then use that same correlation to extrapolate the 10" R25B data from the 13" data. [...] </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's what I thought of too.
As I see it, the only two 10" slicks worth looking at are the R25B and the LC0, since the 13" tires from other developers don't perform as well as the Hoosiers.
The big problem with the LC0 is that it is very attractive for use, since it's very light and should give more grip than the R25B. But there is no tire data for them in any size, so what do we do?
I've seen that most good teams with 10" tires used them and I wonder how they designed their suspensions without any quantitative data.

RobbyObby
11-07-2011, 02:28 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Schneebi:
But there is no tire data for them in any size, so what do we do?
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Therein lies the engineering problem at hand. Many teams simply do back to back field tests, some even develop there own data, and others simply design around the data already given. It's your choice what you want to do.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Schneebi:
I've seen that most good teams with 10" tires used them and I wonder how they designed their suspensions without any quantitative data. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
As mentioned above, just because the LC0 compound isn't tested in the TTC data doesn't mean the teams that use them don't have quantitative data to prove their performance.