PDA

View Full Version : Trucks

Sathersc
06-19-2006, 08:38 PM
Hey

I was just wondering what kind of trucks teams use to pull their trailers, and where they go to get them. There were a lot of really nice trailers at the competition, and I was just wondering how everyone got them there, seeing as how we'll need soon too http://fsae.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_cool.gif .

Sathersc
06-19-2006, 08:38 PM
Hey

I was just wondering what kind of trucks teams use to pull their trailers, and where they go to get them. There were a lot of really nice trailers at the competition, and I was just wondering how everyone got them there, seeing as how we'll need soon too http://fsae.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_cool.gif .

SloMo228
06-20-2006, 05:44 AM
We have a team member who's also an avid motocross racer, so we just borrow his truck and trailer to haul our car around. It's not the biggest, but then, we only have to go about 35 miles from our school to the competition. The truck is an '02 Ford F-250 diesel, and the trailer is 24 feet or something like that, I honestly don't remember.

drivetrainUW-Platt
06-20-2006, 08:02 AM
Chevy 1500 x-cab with 190,000 miles, 5.3L and a 28" trailer....go Chevy! It was a team members, the problem with dealerships is the cars arent licenced or insured for extended use, especially pulling a trailer. Dealer plates are only good for tooling around town.

Korey Morris
06-20-2006, 01:38 PM
The school bought a 22' car trailer for us, the solar car, and the ASCE Concrete Canoe to share, but no access to a truck to pull it with. They only let faculty drive the university vehicles, and out advisor is a deadbeat. Luckily, they do not consider the trailer a vehicle, so we run off whit it to autocross every weekend. So far our co-team leader's new Silverado 1500 is doing the trick, but the brakes are not happy about the trailer. I would suggest a heaver truck for real over the road hauling of a trailer like this, the wind and sway can catch you by surprise. We'll be investing in a brake controller before we get on the interstate again!