PDA

View Full Version : Tripod bearing angle

Blake
02-01-2006, 07:05 PM
We are trying to get our halfshafts into place and i was wondering if anyone knew what the limits are for as far as the degrees of rotation off dead center for the halfshafts. In other words i know you want the tripod housings to line up with each other but whats the limit as far as moving in the direction of front and back of the car not up and down

Blake
02-01-2006, 07:05 PM
We are trying to get our halfshafts into place and i was wondering if anyone knew what the limits are for as far as the degrees of rotation off dead center for the halfshafts. In other words i know you want the tripod housings to line up with each other but whats the limit as far as moving in the direction of front and back of the car not up and down

drivetrainUW-Platt
02-01-2006, 07:31 PM
How is front/back different then up and down? Contact the manufacturer about angular deflection maximums, prob GKN or NTN. Are you trying to move the wheels more foreward that this is an issue?

Blake
02-01-2006, 07:43 PM
Thats what i was thinking as long as when the max angle is acheived in the left or right direction it isnt a problem when its at its max up or down, which i dont think is a problem but im just seeing what people are saying. The problem is that our wheel center is at the end of our rear suspesion box and chassis so i cant align the housings

Blake
02-01-2006, 08:00 PM
by the way its taylor race bearings if anyone knows what the max is?

Chuck Maddocks
02-01-2006, 09:45 PM
axle layout example (http://www.taylor-race.com/pdf/ACF114C.pdf)

call scott young
he answers all your questions

Scotty
02-02-2006, 11:28 AM
22 DEG max angle at full power is what we rate them at.This will be for the small tri-pod joint # 02002011.

Thrainer
01-16-2008, 03:27 PM
I'm bringing up this old topic because I haven't found the information I'm looking for.

What's the biggest driveshaft angle that your car has been driven with, using the small Taylor tripod?
Above which angle do you expect mechanical problems like noticably big effeciency losses, higher wear etc.?

I'm asking because we're planning to have angles of 15-20 degrees because the rear tires would end up further in front than the differential.

Looking forward to your replies.

Regards,
Thomas

kuck
01-16-2008, 09:32 PM
Based on our analysis from last year, halfshaft angles across your given range will result in a drivetrain loss of 3.5 to 5.5 degrees, increasing with the angle obviously.

Theoretical calculations were confirmed with experimental data to generate the relationship used here.

While this may sound significant (and it is), sometimes you have to make sacrifices to optimize another aspect of the system and you have to decide if the benefits outweigh this loss.

Brett Neale
01-17-2008, 01:04 PM
Last year's car at Adelaide had about 12deg static with a maximum of 16deg at full bump. We had custom 7075 outer CV housings which were hard anodised and we didn't have any problems at all with wear over the course of 3 months. One pair of housings lasted about 30 hours on track before we changed them for comp. We actually had quite a bit of plunge and the tripod kinda "walked" in the housing (the good kind...) so it spread the load along a 10-12mm contact patch, I suppose that helped reduce wear too.

kuck
01-17-2008, 01:14 PM
Keep in mind that having a halfshaft that can move freely back and forth at both ends is not necessarily a good thing... Plungers are used for a reason.

Scotty
01-17-2008, 03:42 PM
Long story short....tri-pods are a non-centering joint . Unlike a CV joint that will find its way back to center,,A tri-pod will go where ever it wants in the housings. This is why it is necessary to spring load the axle.
The axle will also shutter back and forth in the housings if it is not held in some sort of spring load.

Scotty

Thrainer
02-27-2008, 06:29 AM
Can somebody please give me some more information about plunging with Taylor tripods? We're making our own housings and driveshafts.

I can imagine a design with a "plug" in the non-plunging end, a spring through the hollow driveshaft, and a moving plunger (made of plastic, e.g. delrin). But I have no idea if this is practical, what kind of spring I'd need etc.

Thanks for your answer.

What is the plunging system like for the Taylor halfshafts and tripod combination? Or does every team have to design their own?

Scotty
02-27-2008, 02:50 PM
Thrainer.

Send me an e-mail.
I have plenty of drawings that will give the info you are looking for.

scotty@taylor-race.com

Thrainer
05-22-2008, 01:04 AM
Hi there,

how much plunging, say axial driveshaft movement, do other teams have during suspension movement?

On our suspension, it seems that 3? of camber change is about 8 mm for the driveshaft. Then you have further causes that might add to this number.

So, by how much is your driveshaft shorter than the longest distance between the housings and why?