PDA

View Full Version : CBR 600

Denisk31
10-14-2005, 04:52 AM
Hi everyone, I am Head of the Engine Group at University of Strathclyde Motorsport Team in the UK. I am posting here to ask three questions which I am struggling to answer:

1) We are using a CBR600FX (F4) which has a dry sump system but I am looking to buy the next model which is a CBR600FS1 (F4i, I think??). It is basically the same engine as the FX but with the addition of fuel injection, a cam sensor and gold coloured gearbox covers. I believe they are the same engine numbers but I was wondering if anyone knew if the mounting points or the internals for the dry sump fitment are different.

2) Last year we used a dry sump system which was very successful. We replaced the water pump with the new oil pump for the dry sump and then employed an electric water pump. I noticed at the competition that a few teams put the original mechanical water pump on the end of the oil pump. I was just wondering if this was difficult to do?

3) Finally regarding our fuel injection system. We use an ECU from DTA. It is the cheaper version (£500) which does not allow sequential fuel injection. Instead the injectors fire twice. Does this lead to a lot of unburnt fuel and is the sequential fuel injection beneficial?

I hope someone can help me with the above

Kind Regards,

Denis

Denisk31
10-14-2005, 04:52 AM
Hi everyone, I am Head of the Engine Group at University of Strathclyde Motorsport Team in the UK. I am posting here to ask three questions which I am struggling to answer:

1) We are using a CBR600FX (F4) which has a dry sump system but I am looking to buy the next model which is a CBR600FS1 (F4i, I think??). It is basically the same engine as the FX but with the addition of fuel injection, a cam sensor and gold coloured gearbox covers. I believe they are the same engine numbers but I was wondering if anyone knew if the mounting points or the internals for the dry sump fitment are different.

2) Last year we used a dry sump system which was very successful. We replaced the water pump with the new oil pump for the dry sump and then employed an electric water pump. I noticed at the competition that a few teams put the original mechanical water pump on the end of the oil pump. I was just wondering if this was difficult to do?

3) Finally regarding our fuel injection system. We use an ECU from DTA. It is the cheaper version (£500) which does not allow sequential fuel injection. Instead the injectors fire twice. Does this lead to a lot of unburnt fuel and is the sequential fuel injection beneficial?

I hope someone can help me with the above

Kind Regards,

Denis

Agent4573
10-14-2005, 04:12 PM
I can only answer to number 3, and that is, if its tuned correctly, you don't waste a whole lot of fuel. I'm sure sequential is slightly better, but we only used 1.11 gallons for endurance. If the injector fires twice, you just spray half as much each time(thats probably not the case, but you get the jist)

Denisk31
10-16-2005, 05:54 PM
Thanks for your reply, much appreciated

murpia
10-17-2005, 02:02 AM
Sequential vs Batch is covered in depth here: http://www.megasquirt.info/v22manual/mfuel.htm#batch

Whether it is of benefit to you will realistically depend on whether you have the dyno time to map it properly.

Ian