PDA

View Full Version : Labview usage?

coldfire
10-26-2005, 10:23 PM
Hi,

We are currently researching various topics. One of these is Labview. My search on here brings up mention of it being used as a tool to capture dynamic engine data, such as in complement with a dynometer.
I also see it mentioned as a way to acquire data readings, for various engine sensors and what not.

Are there any other application for this software that teams are either using, or potentially could be used?

thanks
- Aaron

coldfire
10-26-2005, 10:23 PM
Hi,

We are currently researching various topics. One of these is Labview. My search on here brings up mention of it being used as a tool to capture dynamic engine data, such as in complement with a dynometer.
I also see it mentioned as a way to acquire data readings, for various engine sensors and what not.

Are there any other application for this software that teams are either using, or potentially could be used?

thanks
- Aaron

KevinD
10-27-2005, 07:32 AM
labview is pretty useful. anything you can put a sensor on, you can use labview with.

what are you looking to do?

coldfire
10-27-2005, 12:44 PM
thanks for the reply.

my university just re-started the FSAE program here. we are just in the opening stages of researching. i have been assigned to study labview and potential usage of the tool.

- Aaron

KevinD
10-27-2005, 02:14 PM
my suggestion, check and see if your school has a site license for it. ours does, and we have labview on our team design lab computers now. i would imagine most large universities have labview site licenses.

once you find out if you can get it free that way, install it and play around with it. you can learn what it can do with tutorials i believe... i haven't actually used it yet, but we are going to be using it extensively this year. We have people doing exactly what you are doing though, learning the program and writting our "code".

Kamil S
10-27-2005, 02:46 PM
talk to the professor in charge of the mechanical engineering instrumentation labs at your school. chances are he is a labview God.

coldfire
10-27-2005, 03:56 PM
Labview God? lol

well, i should have mentioned that we do have a license at the University, and one of computer labs i believe has the software installed.
right now it is more research on possible applications and capabilities, rather on learning how to use it.

thanks for the input.
- Aaron

Kamil S
10-27-2005, 04:31 PM
I have used Labview for both DAQ and virtual instrumentation. I am trying to setup a "virtual" model now that simulates engine parameters (RPM, Mass flow, etc...) and uses those as inputs to calculate ignition advance, injection timing, and all other good stuff.

I don't know if National Instruments makes a control unit that is compact and "portable" enough to fit on an FSAE car. It would be cool if Labview could be used as the main engine control software; it's a pretty fast software, and it's rather "easier" to program.

Agent4573
10-27-2005, 04:32 PM
we made a flow bench with it last year to test out actual flow numbers on different intakes we've done in the past. This year we're gonna be using it to get physical data from accelerameters and shit from sled tests for the new crush zone.

Randy Van der Ree
10-27-2005, 05:48 PM
Agent473

do you have pictures of your setup to measure flow on your intakes? what sensors did u use?
some info would be great

Chris Boyden
10-27-2005, 07:56 PM
quote: " I don't know if National Instruments makes a control unit that is compact and "portable" enough to fit on an FSAE car. It would be cool if Labview could be used as the main engine control software; it's a pretty fast software, and it's rather "easier" to program."

umm.....labview runs like mud dries....way too slow... you sure wouldn't want to use it for engine software unless your running a supercomputer. Try assembly or optimized C.

Kamil S
10-27-2005, 08:01 PM
hmm, i know the interface is slow, i always thought the processing was fast though.

Thx though!

KevinD
10-27-2005, 10:26 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Chris Boyden:
quote: " I don't know if National Instruments makes a control unit that is compact and "portable" enough to fit on an FSAE car. It would be cool if Labview could be used as the main engine control software; it's a pretty fast software, and it's rather "easier" to program."

umm.....labview runs like mud dries....way too slow... you sure wouldn't want to use it for engine software unless your running a supercomputer. Try assembly or optimized C. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

umm, have you checked out any of the control/data aq boxes they make? state of the art, capable of controlling an engine if you want. although the price is pretty prohibitive... we will be using the compact fieldpoint system that national instruments makes. you can read about it on their webpage

Chris Boyden
10-28-2005, 07:03 AM
I'll I'm saying is that labview in a microcontroller based system wouldn't be very practical. In terms of processing power, a P4 is rather like a supercomputer vs. a microcontroller based ECU. I suppose you could run a ruggedized laptop (expensive) running Windows (scary) with labview(expensive) plus control cards (expensive) on top of that. Yes they do make stuff that can control an engine....but the processing power required is large and overkill IMHO. I guess that I'm a fan of purpose built hardware and software rather than general applications taylored for whatever. On the other hand, an engine control system developed in labview for testing, algorithm development, data aq, etc for a dyno room could be a cool idea.

For data aq, well, it was designed for that and is a great use for it.

So, I guess that it comes down to the application and money.

KevinD
10-28-2005, 09:25 AM
agreed. it is much easier (and more effective) to simply buy an ECU for controlling the engine, and run the DataAq seperately.

interestingly enough, because the compact fieldpoint can run digital and/or analog outputs, it makes it easier to test things such as traction control via 4 wheel-speed sensors in a control loop, servo controlled clutching, active suspension, or whatever else you can dream up. with real world testing that can easily be modified on the fly, control algorithms can be developed much faster and more effectively then any simulation will tell you. once you have your design, then build the devoted box for whatever you desire.