PDA

View Full Version : Engine orientation and mounting

malcolm
08-12-2005, 01:19 PM
Considering an F4i engine or similar shape, what orientations have yielded lowest cg. I'm considering laying it as flat as possible with intakes coming in from top and exhaust exiting downwards. This orientation seems good because it shortens distance between crankshaft and differential as well as providing low cg.

What potential problems have been noticed with this setup? What has worked well?

malcolm
08-12-2005, 01:19 PM
Considering an F4i engine or similar shape, what orientations have yielded lowest cg. I'm considering laying it as flat as possible with intakes coming in from top and exhaust exiting downwards. This orientation seems good because it shortens distance between crankshaft and differential as well as providing low cg.

What potential problems have been noticed with this setup? What has worked well?

Schulberg J
08-12-2005, 02:25 PM
Think about where the oil goes with the engine in this orientation.

jason

Korey Morris
08-12-2005, 02:27 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Schulberg J:
Think about where the oil goes with the engine in this orientation.

jason </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

There's your number one problem with a non-traditional" engine orientation.

jack
08-12-2005, 02:32 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by malcolm:

What potential problems have been noticed with this setup? What has worked well? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

how would this get the diff closer? our diff is as close as we can get it, and we will turn the sprockets into gears before the diff hits the back of the engine.