PDA

View Full Version : Mounting sprocket on differential

ketan
02-19-2007, 06:50 AM
Guys
i would like to know what are the alternatives in mounting sprocket on the differential besides press fitting and bolting on differential.

Looking for some new ideas!!!1

ketan
02-19-2007, 06:50 AM
Guys
i would like to know what are the alternatives in mounting sprocket on the differential besides press fitting and bolting on differential.

Looking for some new ideas!!!1

Chris Allbee
02-19-2007, 08:27 AM
look at the front brakes of a sport bike for some inspiration...

drivetrainUW-Platt
02-19-2007, 09:09 AM
if you mean the O bushings, thats a lot of complexity for no gain besides bling factor, but some people are after that so, go for it. Those are used to allow a slight amount of brake disk float if the pads are applying force unequally from side to side, you shouldnt need to worry about this in a sprocket, a sprotor maybe....

Chris Allbee
02-19-2007, 10:07 AM
The float pins, or "O bushings", provide a smooth surface to transmit the torque of the sprocket to the differential housing. You can also use a combination of solid shear pins and bolts to hold the sprocket to the diff housing. Bolts by themselves isn't the best option. You should always try to remove threads from shear whenever possible and avoid bending loads on critical bolts. Yes, I realize bike manufacturers use this method, but they also have a rubber cush drive most of the time to absorb the shock loads.

I'm not saying he should do it floating style, just look at other methods of transferring torque and try to understand why it was done that way. What considerations were made and such.

Mechanicaldan
02-19-2007, 07:32 PM
Chris and Mike made some good points. Which ever method you choose you should make sure you can defend WHY you chose to mount it a certain way. Being able to explain why is how you win Design.

Separating the mounting method from the torque transfer is a good place to start. I believe you can defend mounting the sprocket with bolts, as long as you don't place the shear plane through the treads, and properly torque the bolts based on their length and tensile.