PDA

View Full Version : Designing an upright

mrfugly
09-14-2006, 01:53 AM
Any ideas on upright design or any rules and regulations that may effect an upright design process would be appreciated,thanks.

mrfugly
09-14-2006, 01:53 AM
Any ideas on upright design or any rules and regulations that may effect an upright design process would be appreciated,thanks.

SNasello
09-14-2006, 07:25 AM
Read through the rule book before you ask a question like this. It takes all of 2 minutes to look through the index and find what you are looking for.

That being said, i dont think there are very many rules on suspension design. It is a pretty open area, you can do pretty much whatever you want as long as you can justify what you have done to the design judges.

Kurt Bilinski
09-14-2006, 07:42 AM
Tires come first, then wheels, then the upright.

It cannot hit the wheel under all motion and so the pivots don't run out of travel in cornering or over bumps.

The location of the lower pivot is most important, usually dictated by the rest of the car. If the car is highly aero, the lower arm needs to be up above the duct-work (at full droop.) If aero's not an issue, "usually" the lower pivot can be located more or less whereever you want, then the RC set with the upper arm... more or less. I vote for placing it as low as possible for mechanical leverage reasons.

For the actual fabrication, it's just a big bracket. If the bearing is pressed in the clearance will be critical, but other than that it's just a matter of connecting the dots. Here are a couple shots of my rear upright (car in sig.) It's just tubing and plate... and a lot of work. Placing the brake calipers can be a bit tricky... I ran an air line into the caliper (with the brake rotor in place) to find exactly where the mounting brackets had to go.

http://www.kimini.com/Diaries/2003Late/rear%20hub1.jpg
http://www.kimini.com/Diaries/2003Late/rear%20hub.jpg

Jersey Tom
09-14-2006, 07:53 AM
This has been discussed a million times. Use the forum's search feature