PDA

View Full Version : 08 Honda CBR 600RR No Spark

brodksm
05-04-2011, 10:50 AM
Symptoms:

Cranks, but no spark (tested by grounding plug)

Verified:

Voltage at both ignition coils and injectors

Checked all fuses (even tried swapping them)

Still need to do:

Read peak voltage from CKS/read signal with OS

We have the fuel pump so that it has a direct line to the battery, we need to unhook it to see if the ECU can turn the pump on

Need to confirm we are getting fuel

Modifications:

BAS has been bypassed (I think red/blue wire to green?? with yellow open)

Kickstand & nuetral are grounded (is this right?)

I don't think it's related but the secondary injectors have been bypassed with resistors.

The stock transmission case has been replaced with a housing to mate the bike engine to a CVT. The stock housing was scanned for mounting locations of the CKP and starter gears but some things have been a little off so I don't know what kind of tolerance the CKP needs to read or if it would cause no spark if it were just not reading correctly.

Looking for things to test or maybe see if we wired something wrong. I've got a team of three for the powertrain and none of us know very much about wiring so any help would be appreciated.

brodksm
05-04-2011, 10:50 AM
Symptoms:

Cranks, but no spark (tested by grounding plug)

Verified:

Voltage at both ignition coils and injectors

Checked all fuses (even tried swapping them)

Still need to do:

Read peak voltage from CKS/read signal with OS

We have the fuel pump so that it has a direct line to the battery, we need to unhook it to see if the ECU can turn the pump on

Need to confirm we are getting fuel

Modifications:

BAS has been bypassed (I think red/blue wire to green?? with yellow open)

Kickstand & nuetral are grounded (is this right?)

I don't think it's related but the secondary injectors have been bypassed with resistors.

The stock transmission case has been replaced with a housing to mate the bike engine to a CVT. The stock housing was scanned for mounting locations of the CKP and starter gears but some things have been a little off so I don't know what kind of tolerance the CKP needs to read or if it would cause no spark if it were just not reading correctly.

Looking for things to test or maybe see if we wired something wrong. I've got a team of three for the powertrain and none of us know very much about wiring so any help would be appreciated.

B Lewis @ PE Engine Management
05-04-2011, 12:25 PM
I assume that you are using the stock ECU, correct?

I don't know about Honda but some OEM ECUs look for flyback voltage on the injector channels to determe correct operation. You won't get any flyback with resistors. You may want to put the stock secondary inj back in for now.

Good luck.

Joe17
05-04-2011, 09:20 PM
BAS?

On our GSXR, I added resistors in the ignition circuit from the key back to the ECU, basically dropping the voltage from 12v, to approx 8v. Since we didn't have the original dashboard, the circuit wasn't there. This is the integrated security system.
Could be a similar security system with honduh?

Jon Burford
06-02-2011, 02:12 PM
I would recommend ditching the honda stuff and building a new loom around a Race ECU, such as a DTA S60. The wiring loom is not difficult to construct and would look a lot better.

Best of Luck.
Jon

brodksm
06-02-2011, 02:49 PM
It ended up being the crank sensor. The custom housing had a milled lip with a sharp edge that grounded it to the case.

BAS - bank angle sensor or the "tip" sensor

A race ecu would be nice but wasn't in the budget.

Thanks for the replies though!
Steve

Jon Burford
06-02-2011, 11:48 PM
glad you fixed the problem.
what CVT did you decide to use? or are you building your own?