PDA

View Full Version : JB Weld in intake: judges

Larsen?
02-09-2005, 05:31 PM
I know that JB Welding the injector bosses into our aluminum runners would would work, and would be much easier than welding them.
But how would the judges respond? It's a legit bond, and good for high temp., but it's not super elegant.
Thoughts?

Matt N
02-09-2005, 06:22 PM
Heres a tip if you do decide to go with JB Weld - Im sure you will figure out that a little goes a long way (and gets in a lot of places). But when you think you have application finished and want to make it look as nice as JB Weld gets you can use a little bit of water on your finger or glove to smooth it. Results are a lot better, and it makes cleanup nicer too. Dont go overkill on the water or it wont set up - I figured that one out the hard way.

Matt

Kirk Feldkamp
02-09-2005, 07:22 PM
I'd suggest that if you REALLY want to use JB Weld, design it so the JB Weld is on the inside so you cant see it...

Alternatively you could figure out how to use good epoxy...

-Kirk <--- Not a JB Weld fan

John Bucknell
02-09-2005, 07:43 PM
JB Weld doesn't like boost, trust me from experience on that one. As a judge, I'm thinking if you can't weld on injector bosses - how did the rest of the manifold get made? Otherwise there aren't many technical reasons I can think of - other than there are better structural adhesives.

Charlie
02-09-2005, 07:56 PM
Use a real epoxy, with a data sheet that you know will have a bond strong enough for what you are doing. Do some engineering and they judges will like it just find. Slap some JB on without knowing much besides 'I know it'll work' and the judges won't like it, and it'll be a whole lot more likely NOT to work too. http://fsae.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Larsen?
02-10-2005, 07:18 PM
Thanks Much for the tips.

I only have experience with Epoxy and Polyester resins, which I could certainly use. The problem is that they're more temperature sensitive than polyamide resins, and the easiest polyamide to get seems to be JB Weld.

In response to your question John, we're naturally aspirated, and the rest of the intake (plenum & restrictor) is carbon. The bosses certainly could be welded, but it would require a very high level of skill.

Thanks Again,
Larsen

BStoney
02-11-2005, 02:44 AM
Looks like it's time to break out the welder, flip on AC, grab yourself some scrap, and get to work..http://fsae.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif Just kidding...

I guess I will assume your gas tank is not Al?

Robert
02-12-2005, 11:53 PM
Hey Larsen
During our engine development last year we found that JB weld and E85 don't mix well, especially with a turbo. We had two runner failures where JB weld was used. I don't think we will ever consider using it again on our intakes.