PDA

View Full Version : Carburation..

rjwoods77
09-29-2004, 07:43 PM
Who has used them and tell me your triumphs and failures.

rjwoods77
09-29-2004, 07:43 PM
Who has used them and tell me your triumphs and failures.

Paul V.
09-29-2004, 09:44 PM
Why would you want to use carbs?

Charlie
09-29-2004, 11:50 PM
52 time NASCAR champs! http://fsae.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

jack
09-30-2004, 12:06 AM
i'm pretty sure university of colorado-denver was carborated.

John Bucknell
09-30-2004, 06:47 PM
90, 91 & 92 our car was carburated. Bleh.

Starts really, really hard. Frost on the restrictor in hot muggy Detroit weather. Fuel condenses out and bogged every time you got back on it. We built a plexiglas manifold to try to understand what was going on. Puddle of fuel in plenum until engine got going, then looked like thick fog in there. Course the first backfire shredded it.

Wouldn't recommend it.

jwinkler
10-03-2004, 05:13 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> i'm pretty sure university of colorado-denver was carborated. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Wow, someone actually noticed our car! Then again it was so big and rusty I guess it was hard to miss.

The carb was one of many major flaws with our first car, however it was simpler for us than trying to set up fuel injection on the engine we were using. The intake on our car had a terrible design that made the carb function even worse, as it had a large expansion that allowed lots of fuel to drop out of the mixture, with nothing to help the mixture get equally distributed to each cylinder.

We got lots of strange looks as we "tuned" our carb by drilling out the main jet, and while we would warm it up with our custom choke (ether cap with 3, 1/4" holes in it), but in the end we made it run ok. After adjusting the metering rod, and drilling the main jet to over twice its original size, I have to say it actually ran better than I'd expected.

While a carb is not the best throttling device availible, for a first year team with little fuel injection knowledge but decent carb knowledge, I think it could be usable idea.

With that said, we will be running a fuel injected f4i this year, and should have a much better car to put it in. Does anyone have experience using the stock fuel injection from one of these bikes, or do you all use aftermarket or custom computers? We could definitely use some advise in this area.

Josh Winkler
University of Colorado- Denver

alfordda
10-03-2004, 06:06 PM
jwinkler

Take a look at Perfromance Electronics. We have used their ECU's for a long time. The help menu in their software explains alot and thier support is unrivaled.

www.pe-ltd.com (http://www.pe-ltd.com)

james17
10-03-2004, 08:39 PM
jwinkler, as far as your question concerning using the F4i fuel injection I think I can offer a very relevant perspective. Our car (UTSA, looked like a carbon fiber moccasin, very ugly, remember us? ) used stock F4i fuel rail, fuel pump and computer as this year we were for all practical purposes a first year effort. Using the stock F4i components together with a well designed intake manifold on top of them offers a very reliable and functional system for teams that don't have the time and resources for much more. Using those components together was one of the few things we did that I would strongly recommend to other early development teams. This setup will also put you very close to most teams in terms of power output for the least amount of work. Hope this helps.

B Lewis @ PE Engine Management
10-03-2004, 09:39 PM
jwinkler,

Give us a call if you have any questions about setting up a fuel injection system in general. We always like to help new teams get up and running. We have a pretty good handle on the F4I setup.

ethanL007
10-05-2004, 10:20 AM
We used a stock F4i rail and injectors, with a PE-ltd ECU on our rookie car last year. We were very happy with the way it turned out, and just ordered our second ecu from them.

Without question, for a first time EFI car, Performance Electronics should be your first choice for an affordable, reliable, robust engine management system.