PDA

View Full Version : Anti-pushbacks on steering columns?

Kris E
08-19-2004, 05:30 PM
I'm designing part of the steering system this year and wondered if an anti-pushback on the steering colunm was nessecary.

Our last car had the anti-pushback and I'm debating on whether we should use it again this year. Do any other teams use it?

Is this a safety feature that the judges encourage or can it be overlooked without losing design points?

University of Manitoba

Kris E
08-19-2004, 05:30 PM
I'm designing part of the steering system this year and wondered if an anti-pushback on the steering colunm was nessecary.

Our last car had the anti-pushback and I'm debating on whether we should use it again this year. Do any other teams use it?

Is this a safety feature that the judges encourage or can it be overlooked without losing design points?

University of Manitoba

Cement Legs
08-19-2004, 06:15 PM
Hi Kris, someone will no doubt clarrify what I'm saying if someothing isnt quite right; however, to my knowledge you dont need anti-pushback specifically on your steering column for two reasons. First the cars are quite light and depending on the size of your steering wheel and the distance from you tie rod connection to the steering center of your upright, you can design the amount of forces going from the wheels to your hands and back. Second, your caster angle and kingpin inclination if any can also be designed to take into account any anti-pushback you are looking for.

Everything above assumes that when you say "anti-pushback" your describing a mechanism to lower the forces felt at the steering wheel or required to steer. If not then check this out and while mesmorized forget that I said anything at all. http://fsae.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

http://hunt101.com/showphoto.php?photo=189551&sort=7&thecat=998&password=

karter
08-19-2004, 07:50 PM
I think anti-pushback is a collapseble steering column in case you do a head on into a cement wall (keeps the steering wheel from crushing your chest). In all of our cars your feet would be toast long before you need anti-pushback .....