PDA

View Full Version : Brake Fluid

Gavin
04-12-2004, 04:48 PM
we have been having problems with a soft pedel this year, and have been seeing an odd metalic like film in the fluid in the master cylinders. anyone know what this could be??? we are at a lost at this point.

Gavin
04-12-2004, 04:48 PM
we have been having problems with a soft pedel this year, and have been seeing an odd metalic like film in the fluid in the master cylinders. anyone know what this could be??? we are at a lost at this point.

Alejandro
04-12-2004, 07:06 PM
Gavin,
A soft pedal generally means air bubbles in the brake system. Bleed properly the system. Despite soft pedal, the car brakes as you expected? Make sure to get all the air from there.

About the "dirt" in the master cylinder reservoir. Maybe the master cylinder or the reservoir had some dust in it. Ar you using stock brakes? or you built it?

Jackson
04-13-2004, 03:24 PM
I have seen that before in our old baja cars. I think it might just be the aluminum wearing in -- i.e. the piston contacting the aluminum cylinder walls. We have never had that cause any problems though, and the master cylinders looked ok after a teardown/inspection.

Brian
Washington State U FSAE