PDA

View Full Version : CHAIN HELP URGENT

gus
04-25-2004, 01:53 PM
long story short: we're running a 520 chain, and need a half link in there. do the math, yeah, oops. Any suggestions?

gus
04-25-2004, 01:53 PM
long story short: we're running a 520 chain, and need a half link in there. do the math, yeah, oops. Any suggestions?

Nate Notta
04-25-2004, 02:04 PM
Why do you need a half link?

awhittle
04-25-2004, 06:54 PM
Change the teeth on the ring gear or the drive gear a tooth or two???

Just a thouht

AW

ethanL007
04-25-2004, 06:57 PM
do you have any sort of chain tensioning device?

acracker
04-25-2004, 09:09 PM
you can get a half link from Hyper Racing. They have pretty good parts and service.
http://www.hyperracing.com/browse.asp?id=830&classid=10&catid=540

Mike Shaw
04-25-2004, 10:59 PM
we had the same problem with our 5:1 rear ratio. we do have adjustment, but it just fell in the wrong spot. we didn't want to do the whole half-link thing.

several solutions: 1)lower the number of teeth in the differential sprocket (small final drive change), 2)increase the number of teeth in the transmission sprocket (big final drive change), 3)run a tight chain, let it loosen, then adjust to tighten it up (possible bearing or other part failure issues.

try the half-link, then when the chain is run a while and stretched out, replace with a regular link. if that isn't good enough, make a new diff sprocket. the drivers will never know http://fsae.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Kirk Feldkamp
04-26-2004, 07:11 AM
Personally if I'd designed everything else the way I wanted it.... I'd just go buy another chain and take the hit. You learned your lesson this time, no use trying to fix something half-assed if you could just fix it easily for $100.

-Kirk

Scott Harsila
04-26-2004, 08:47 AM
Doesn't sound like it can be fixed for $100, the chain isn't the problem, it is the old "I need the chain 1/2" shorter but can only take out an inch" dillemma. You can only take out full links not half links. Anyone used those half-links before?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Personally if I'd designed everything else the way I wanted it.... I'd just go buy another chain and take the hit. You learned your lesson this time, no use trying to fix something half-assed if you could just fix it easily for $100. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Angry Joe
04-26-2004, 09:23 AM
If you don't have an adjustable chain tensioner I'd start making one. Even if you solve this little dilemma without one it's probably going to bite you later...

Akos
04-27-2004, 05:41 AM
You can get a half link from most motorcycle dealers. Most dealers won't carry them in stock tough. If the guy at the counter doesn't know what you are talking about, ask him for a parts catalog they will be in there.

I used a half link on the U of Toronto 2000 car without any problems. I ended up putting a 530 chain on a 520 sprocket set as the local bike shop had only a 530 half link in stock.

One thing you have to be careful about is order the half link and chain together. Different brands will not neccesarly go together (I learned this the hard way).

Cheers,

Akos

Kirk Feldkamp
04-27-2004, 07:58 AM
Ahh... I was assuming there was an adjustable diff tensioner. Wow, I never even thought to make it rigid!

-Kirk

Daves
04-27-2004, 03:16 PM
$100 for a chain? Why not run a non-o-ring chain that only costs $25?

Mike Shaw, why a 5:1 ratio? Are your tires getting enough grip with gearing that low?

Chris Allbee
04-28-2004, 12:25 AM
My bet is Mike is trying to gear it so that he can remove first gear entirely, or he's running drag radials....

-
04-28-2004, 03:48 PM
I have used half link chains on bicycles for a couple of years to keep the drive line lengths short. They work fine, just buy the $9.00 one in the link above and don;t worry about it.

The amount of miles your car sees is much less then any real bike sees anyway. I wouldn't be too worried about it