PDA

View Full Version : Slip angles and ackerman choise!

Stefanos m
11-13-2011, 11:20 AM
hi people...
i was wondering how i can determine the steering angle of my wheels (ackerman percentage), to create slip angle of my choise...i make the lateral force vs s.a graphs but i can only find the type of ackerman (anti,pro,etc).... i dont ask for a quick solution only for a tip...

thnks a lot

Stefanos m
11-13-2011, 11:20 AM
hi people...
i was wondering how i can determine the steering angle of my wheels (ackerman percentage), to create slip angle of my choise...i make the lateral force vs s.a graphs but i can only find the type of ackerman (anti,pro,etc).... i dont ask for a quick solution only for a tip...

thnks a lot

RobbyObby
11-14-2011, 12:11 AM
What slip angle do you want your outside tire to see?
What slip angle do you want your inside tire to see? Do you want it to have more or less slip angle than the outside? Why?
Does this take into account lateral weight transfer?
Which wheel should achieve said slip angle first, inside or outside? And how does that affect the transient behavior of your car?
And dont forget to account for the amount of initial toe angles, if you plan on running any.
These are all considerations to take into account.
That was probably more than alot of people would give you on this forum, but if you can answer all of these questions, determining an appropriate ackerman geometry should be a breeze.

PatClarke
11-14-2011, 12:37 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">to create slip angle of my choise </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You don't choose the slip angle, the tyre does!

Pat

swong46
11-14-2011, 01:50 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by PatClarke:

You don't choose the slip angle, the tyre does!

Pat </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

This is something always hard to accept when analyzing tire data for the first time.

Stefanos m
11-14-2011, 02:55 AM
thnx a lot guys...you are very helpful!!!its time for work know

JDS
11-14-2011, 06:09 AM
Also, be mindful of your kinematics, especially with respect to bump-steer when you are designing your Ackerman. If you have significant levels of bump-steer inherent in your suspension design, than all the work you put into Ackerman won't mean anything.

Stefanos m
11-14-2011, 07:37 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by JDS:
Also, be mindful of your kinematics, especially with respect to bump-steer when you are designing your Ackerman. If you have significant levels of bump-steer inherent in your suspension design, than all the work you put into Ackerman won't mean anything. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

yes you are right...i have set it to zero for this first design...fortunately optimum-k does the job well http://fsae.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif