PDA

View Full Version : Where the **** do people buy Timken bearings?

Mazur
12-14-2010, 03:09 PM
I've tried contacting many companies through Timken's distributor search engine and either all the companies no longer carry Timken anymore or only sell to businesses.

Googling for an online store also came up negative and Timken themselves were no help whatsoever.

I guess we don't need to use Timken, but it seems a little ridiculous that it's taking so much effort to find a distributor. Is there something I don't know?

Jersey Tom
12-14-2010, 03:37 PM
From what I recall, there was a standard naming convention among bearing manufacturers. For example, a '6007-2RS' is the same style & geometry from a bunch of different manufacturers, be it SKF or INA or whoever. If you can find what bearing # you need, any number of suppliers should be able to help you out.

I went through Applied Industrial, who have locations all over the place. You can go to their website and look up a local location (looks like there's one right in Phoenix). Could try them.

Brian S
12-14-2010, 06:02 PM
www . mcmaster . com

Seriously. As Tom said bearing numbers are standard across manufacturers, and most of the ones off McMaster carries Timken and SKF (although in true McMaster style there isn't anything in the catalog to tell you that)

TimkenMan
12-15-2010, 05:42 AM
What kind of bearing are you looking for? I'd be happy to help you out and apologize that you've been frustrated.

Mazur
12-15-2010, 09:28 AM
Thanks a lot Tom! Applied Industrial is exactly what I was looking for.

McMaster actually doesn't carry the one we need.

To TimkenMan. Do you represent the actual Timken company, or are you just a distributor? I ask because Timken would have nothing to do with selling bearings to an individual or setting up an account with a student org when I last called. So I am wondering how you can help.

Anyways, I currently need four double sealed 9114 bearings. Applied is selling these for $91/piece from NSK. Can you better this price? Do you offer discounts for FSAE teams or accept receiving tax credit (501c3) for providing goods to a university based org?

My contact is e30s50@gmail.com

dazz
12-15-2010, 04:33 PM
Mazur,

It's not too hard - I looked at the online Timken catalogue, then opened the online SKF catalogue and in no time at all I found the equivalent to be a 6014 (2RS1 for seals both sides) 70id 110od 20wide - EASY! You can check the load ratings if you're really worried about it. You can do the same thing with any of the major bearing suppliers, nearly all of them have pretty detailed online catalogues.

Mazur
12-15-2010, 07:09 PM
Right, I just wasn't thinking about finding an equivalent because I felt that there should of been a way to buy the Timken brand. Yet, it basically seems impossible.

And like I said, I already found what I need on the Applied Engineering site.

Adambomb
12-21-2010, 05:34 AM
Timken has helped us out a lot with sponsorship in the past, we've been very happy working with them. Don't have the POC handy, but with some digging you should be able to find it (perhaps PM TimkenMan?).

Screech F50
12-22-2010, 06:16 AM
Maybe we are just getting lucky on the bearings that we're using, but we were able to find all but 2 of ours at a local Napa dealer. All Timken too. I'm pretty sure that it has to be the warehouse location, though (some of the smaller stores don't usually have the ordering capability the warehouse does).

Hopefully this helps next time around.

mcphill
01-02-2011, 05:07 PM
Last I heard, Timken was bought by Koyo, so they might be listed under Koyo now. Not 100% sure on that, but I know a lot of the Timken stuff has been transfered over to Koyo down here.

fade
01-12-2011, 07:51 PM
motionindustries dot com

JDS
01-14-2011, 11:45 AM
Intersting that "TimkenMan" has one post and registered right before he made that post. I don't think "TimkenMan" has anything to do with Timken. A large portion of Timken was purchased last year by Koyo as mcphill stated, but they still produce most their line of roller bearings if that is what you are looking for.