PDA

View Full Version : Just dreaming.....

dartmouth01
12-14-2004, 04:11 PM
This is probably dreaming, but wouldn't it be nice if we had broadband wifi access in the pits at Pontiac this year? But on a more realistic note, anyone able to get net access via cellular or somethinga t comp last year? I'd love to be able to upload pics, video and updates to team members back at school as comp is going on.....

dartmouth01
12-14-2004, 04:11 PM
This is probably dreaming, but wouldn't it be nice if we had broadband wifi access in the pits at Pontiac this year? But on a more realistic note, anyone able to get net access via cellular or somethinga t comp last year? I'd love to be able to upload pics, video and updates to team members back at school as comp is going on.....

Tony K
12-14-2004, 04:31 PM
We had broadband back at our hotel, but nothing in the pits. Perhaps someone could get a major networking company like Cisco, HP, ect. to sponsor the event and provide wireless on site. EDS supplied the track timing infrastructure last year, maybe someone could nudge them to step it up a notch...

ethanL007
12-14-2004, 08:21 PM
there were quite a few unencrypted wifi hotspots very near the sivlerdome, but none close enough for the internal antenna. I think a yagi antenna will be gracing top of our trailer this year.

Cement Legs
12-15-2004, 05:16 AM
What in particular is it that you guys want to be able to access from the pits that is not on the laptop that you bring with you?

ethanL007
12-15-2004, 06:16 AM
email, uploading pictures, nothing super important or life altering. just basically keeping thoses who couldn't make it to comp informed.

dartmouth01
12-15-2004, 08:26 AM
Though with some of our info gathering systems we are planning to implement, I could see some real time stuff being done through the internet if we could get it. Even things like real time weather maps would be cool, and useful i think.

Tony K
12-15-2004, 12:43 PM
It would probably be easier, and perhaps more cost effective, to implement onboard telemetry if the wireless network infrastructure was already there. And yea... weather maps might be nice, perhaps give us a better idea of when the next class 1 hurricane is going to hit.

dartmouth01
12-15-2004, 04:11 PM
Yeah, last's years sudden storm/tornadoes was a nice addition to the racing.

mysticv6
12-15-2004, 05:26 PM
That rain was nothing...

But that would be nice to have some sort of wifi there. The cell phone minutes run out pretty fast when you're browsing on the laptop all the time at 115 K/s.