PDA

View Full Version : side effects may include OCD......

Scalesy
09-10-2008, 08:19 PM
just out of curiosity, how many people have developed obsessive compulsive disorder as a result of fsae involvement? I know machining every part on U of Hartford's car last year pretty much has got me to the point of lining up books parallel with the edges of my desk...it might just be an engineering thing too..without a doubt one of the two

exFSAE
09-10-2008, 08:37 PM
Don't know about obsessive compulsive disorder.. but I'm pretty sure I briefly had a drinking disorder or hate morons disorder for a while.

JamesWolak
09-10-2008, 09:10 PM
Originally posted by exFSAE:
I'm pretty sure I briefly had a drinking disorder or hate morons disorder for a while.

I will second that and add a sleeping problem.

Mark_W
09-10-2008, 11:16 PM
yep, i have or have had drinking, sleeping and moron hating disorders.

Mike Claffey
09-10-2008, 11:26 PM
On the other side of the coin, it can suck when your at work and a task needs to get done quick and dirty. Gotta suppress urge to run 5 FEA passes to drop another 100 grams...

Frank
09-11-2008, 01:13 AM
My therapist said:
"You're CHANNELLING your mental illness aren't you?"

Chris Lane
09-11-2008, 06:25 AM
I'm depressed, sleep deprived, and very stressed.

No drinking disorder (yet) though. I can't afford it.

Big Bird
09-11-2008, 07:09 AM
Frank,

There is definitely some sort of obsessive behaviour if two old-timers like us are still checking in on these boards. I can still remember you signing off from here forever in, what was it, 2005?

I'll never manage 763 posts though!

Matt N
09-11-2008, 08:20 AM
Its funny what Frank said above, in light of the fact that my excuse for FSAE for the wife and my parents has always been "its cheaper than therapy".

Matt

Aaron@Kaist
09-11-2008, 09:23 AM
I've developed a get everything for free if possible disorder...Last time I was in the shop for shampoo, found out it was too expensive, and had an urge to call the company to see if they would sponsor me in exchange for their logo on our car....

Aaron Park
KAIST PM

JamesWolak
09-11-2008, 12:08 PM
Stress is defiantly a side effect. I got shingles the week before design reports were due.

RiNaZ
09-11-2008, 02:21 PM
Originally posted by Big Bird:
Frank,

There is definitely some sort of obsessive behaviour if two old-timers like us are still checking in on these boards. I can still remember you signing off from here forever in, what was it, 2005?

I'll never manage 763 posts though!

guilty! joined FSAE in 99, and still hanging around at the competitions. I think when i save enough money, i wanna try to visit all the competitions around the world, especially germany.

Drew Price
09-11-2008, 06:38 PM
FSAE is fueling my eating disorder.

I get into a groove working on something or other, with some Tower of Power playing, and just forget to stop to eat.

I have been in the shop at 3am welding wondering if I just welded over paint that is making me feel woozy, when I remember I haven't had anything but coffee and a Clif bar all day.

Best,
Drew

JaredC
09-12-2008, 03:16 AM
Put me down for....

Bad eating habits. Forgetting to eat, then binging on shit food
Drinking. I'm either working on the car or drinking to forget about the car
Bad/no sleeping habits

I already had OCD. FSAE has just given me an outlet to express it. The moron hate is as strong as ever too.

MalcolmG
09-12-2008, 04:44 AM
One thing I'm suprised hasn't been mentioned is caffeine addiction. I have developed quite a healthy one over the last few years, and I have to say I think it's a great addiction to have. When I wake up having slept on a couch in the team trailer/transporter for a few hours, sometimes the realisation that if I get up I can make myself a coffee is the only thing that gets me up. This and other simple pleasures have really helped to keep me going over the last couple of months of long hours of work, and did the same for me last year.

Of course, most of the above conditions apply too, although I don't think I have developed an OCD yet, although last year when I was team leader, it was a ridiculously stressful year and I lost 10kg through stress, poor diet and lack of sleep.

exFSAE
09-12-2008, 05:47 AM
We had an energy drink vending machine not too far from the shop. Put a LOT of money into that.

Didn't really drink coffee much.. probably as the engineering center coffee was watered down and metallic tasting. I question if there was even any caffeine in it.

When I started work though.. the coffee addiction snapped on quickly.

Wesley
09-12-2008, 06:28 AM
Back last year during the winter I had 3-4 Redbulls in the course of 4 hours every day for a month while doing engine tuning.

I'm completely immune to caffeine now, unless it's injected into my veins. But yet, I'm not addicted at all.

Kemper
09-12-2008, 07:30 AM
You are complaining about caffeine addtiction? Its my first year doing FSAE and after 6 months right after I drink coffe I get sleepy. Beat that! =P

Here at KAIST there are a lot of coffee vending machines. They are about 15 cents and I am pretty sure I spent more than 100 bucks since the formula started.

Also, during summer vacations I did a bicycle trip. When I went to buy food at convenience stores, I checked all the prices in order to:
1) get the less amount of change
2)get rid of my coins.

Weight reduction program sucks.

Moron intolerance came kicking too...

Superfast Matt McCoy
09-12-2008, 09:02 AM
It's nice to have something you're so focused on that you forget to sleep and eat. Most people don't get that experience without a crack addiction. Of course, racing has that pattern of reinforcement like gambling that makes it easy to get addicted to. You win a little here and there, just enough to make you think you'll win it all if you just keep pumping quarters into the machine. The difference is the machine is a vending machine down the hall from the machine shop. I'm still looking for the job with that kind of passion and addiction. Can you imagine all the excitement of FSAE with a paycheck? I'd be dead of a heart attack at 35.

Kemper
09-12-2008, 10:04 AM
i guess they call this job "F1 engineer" =)

Type Q
09-12-2008, 11:07 AM
If you are hating morons now, learn to let go of it. Letting yourself get bothered by those that are clueless or have negative clue, will kill you slowly. There are just too many of them. http://fsae.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Negative clue for those of you that are not familiar with the term, refers to people that are not only clueless but adept at pulling otherwise intelligent productive people in unproductive directions.

JamesWolak
09-12-2008, 02:31 PM
I still drink on average 3 monsters a day. And thats with 5 hrs of sleep (thats is 5 times more then i got during fsae).

Moke
09-12-2008, 04:04 PM
When we were sponsored by V (a NZ energy drink) we would suck back about $2000 worth a year. It ended up being a std drink as we were immune to caffeine, I'd drink one before going to bed, in my heat hut, in the cnr of the workshop. We would use it to buy/hire/swap/bribe stuff at FSAE-A.

I second the "get stuff for free" addiction. I'm wondering if I can get my whole life sponsored if I put stickers all over myself.

RiNaZ
09-12-2008, 07:29 PM
im interested to hear from the non students like the judges, volunteers and such. It'll be interesting to hear from Pat, Claude, Royce, steve daum etc on why they keep coming back http://fsae.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Frank
10-13-2008, 01:25 AM
"I got shingles the week before design reports were due"

Hey James,

I had shingles once before exams. Wow, I thought that would be rare. Maybe not.

I've never had it before, and never had it again.

JamesWolak
10-13-2008, 10:58 AM
Originally posted by Frank:
"I got shingles the week before design reports were due"

Hey James,

I had shingles once before exams. Wow, I thought that would be rare. Maybe not.

I've never had it before, and never had it again.

Exams on top of FSAE? Or just exams?

My Doctor said that it has become more common in the last 5 years.

I think it was the lack of sleep, high levels of stress, and increased alcohol consumption