PDA

View Full Version : Books on Shock Absorbers

FATMOUSE
05-27-2008, 05:54 PM
Before anything else, a brief introduction. My name's Arjun Roy, and I'm the suspension guy for the Columbia University FSAE team.

I've been looking around for reading material on topics of interest that I feel that I do not know enough on, and one of them is shock absorber internals. I have already searched the forums, but was unable to find a mention of, a good book on shock absorber internals. I know the very basics (pistons, oil and air being compressed and turning kinetic energy into heat) but am interested in learning more about how they are implemented.

Any help on the matter would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Arjun.

FATMOUSE
05-27-2008, 05:54 PM
Before anything else, a brief introduction. My name's Arjun Roy, and I'm the suspension guy for the Columbia University FSAE team.

I've been looking around for reading material on topics of interest that I feel that I do not know enough on, and one of them is shock absorber internals. I have already searched the forums, but was unable to find a mention of, a good book on shock absorber internals. I know the very basics (pistons, oil and air being compressed and turning kinetic energy into heat) but am interested in learning more about how they are implemented.

Any help on the matter would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Arjun.

J. Vinella
05-27-2008, 07:42 PM
The Shock Absorber Handbook
by John C. Dixon

This is a great book and exactly what you are looking for. It will get you beyond the basics.

Getting access to a dyno would be your next step. Shocks are like tires each one is a little different. Getting the right damping ratios in each damper is important but making sure they are all the same is also important. Call up tuning and race shops to see if they have one or know where one is.

flavorPacket
05-28-2008, 07:58 AM
Given your location, I would recommend talking with Joe Stimola at Stimola Engineering out on the island (Locust Valley IIRC). He does shock builds for essentially every top SCCA racer in the area, and has been doing so for longer than we've been alive. Has a few dynos and a LOT of knowledge.

FATMOUSE
05-28-2008, 08:13 PM
Thanks a lot guys, I appreciate it.
So much more to read, eh.

-Arjun

Rob Klyver
07-08-2008, 11:19 AM
Paul Haneys' Inside Racing Technology out of print check Amazon ISBN 0-9646414-0-2 has a great section on shocks

Ohlins also trained a couple of our guys in North Carolina and one is local to me in Sonoma and may do a seminar or offer advice if asked

Chris Lane
07-09-2008, 05:05 PM
A new and updated Shock Absorber Handbook is now available from the SAE.