PDA

View Full Version : steering rack free play

Raechel
07-03-2009, 01:22 AM
Hi everyone,

We've been using Stiletto steering racks for the past few years, and been somewhat annoyed by the free play in the racks. Does anyone know where to find a good steering rack with minimal free play?

I've seen a few suggestions on this forum (e.g. Chassis Shop, Hoerr) but can anyone say anything about their racks? I'm not really sure how to go about asking a manufacturer if their products have free play or not...

Raechel
UC Berkeley

RacingManiac
07-06-2009, 06:11 AM
I believe the chassis shop rack was basically the same as the Stilletto ones, or at somepoint it was.

One of the item that was on my list of "if I were to do it again I would..." was to make a shimmable housing for the Stilletto rack, I think the main problem was that the spacing between the pinion and the rack isn't quite tight enough(not sure what I based that on but it seems logical at the time, and taking into account of manufacturing tolerance having adjustment will help), and we've used quite a few of these the last 6-7 cars, and we've made custom modified housing for them since 2005. So if you can make a housing that basically can adjust that distance by minute amount via machined shims you should at least be able to minimize the free-play in the Stilletto parts.