PDA

View Full Version : Styrofoam headrest foam material

Jerry Lee
12-11-2007, 07:31 PM
Hey guys
I sourced some blue high-density foam (styrofoam) from Aero guys building little airplanes. I think applications range from road foundations to thermal insulation from walls. This stuff looks pretty dense, and Dow lists three different compressive strengths (100, 60, 40 psi products) for these foams. Looks like the one aero guys most use has a density of about 30kg/sqm.
It is as hard (if not a bit harder) than SFI padding and just as light (haven't put it on a scale yet).

Would you say this is an acceptable material for the headrest? We plan to upholster it (maybe line it with resilient foam to make it "comfortable") and then install it to a sheet of steel we are using.

Thanks

-Jerry

Jerry Lee
12-11-2007, 07:31 PM
Hey guys
I sourced some blue high-density foam (styrofoam) from Aero guys building little airplanes. I think applications range from road foundations to thermal insulation from walls. This stuff looks pretty dense, and Dow lists three different compressive strengths (100, 60, 40 psi products) for these foams. Looks like the one aero guys most use has a density of about 30kg/sqm.
It is as hard (if not a bit harder) than SFI padding and just as light (haven't put it on a scale yet).

Would you say this is an acceptable material for the headrest? We plan to upholster it (maybe line it with resilient foam to make it "comfortable") and then install it to a sheet of steel we are using.

Thanks

-Jerry

Steve O
12-11-2007, 09:04 PM
The only requirement is that it, and any material holding it, doesn't break on a 200lb impact (unless I am reading the rules wrong). Just about any type of foam should work, just make sure it doesn't crack or shatter when hit with 200lbs and I'd say it should be good.

Steve

James Waltman
12-11-2007, 09:09 PM
I can't say if what you have will work or not but you're making it hard on yourself.
The rules list two examples (Ethafoam and Ensolite).

A quick search on this forum or on Google will give you some good leads.
I'll help.
Ensolite
<span class="ev_code_BLUE">http://www.amazon.com/Safegard-Corp-Inc-Flotation-Cushi...id=1197435986&sr=1-7 (http://www.amazon.com/Safegard-Corp-Inc-Flotation-Cushion/dp/B000HA9IOM/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&s=sporting-goods&qid=1197435986&sr=1-7)</span>

Ethafoam
<span class="ev_code_BLUE">http://www.nrsweb.com/shop/product.asp?pfid=2078</span>
(A few years worth of material for under $20.)

Jerry Lee
12-12-2007, 03:39 AM
James,
I already did search about those materials. Didn't find the link for the Ethafoam that cheap, however. Thanks.

I want to know if the material we already have is going to work or not.

Steve O, the backing plate is about 3mm thick and the supporting structure it is mounted to is good. The foam, however, might break; would this be an issue if it was upholstered? I'll punch or drop kick some scrap pieces tomorrow to see what it does. (very scientific)

The reason I ask is 1. I spent some time making it 2. If it is good to go, it is easy to "machine" it into specific shapes for other impact absorbing material.

James Waltman
12-12-2007, 07:05 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jerry Lee:
I want to know if the material we already have is going to work or not.
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ask the rules committee, they're the only ones who can say if what you have is legal or not.
Or, just buy the stuff mentioned in the rules. It's easy to "machine" with a pair of scissors.

Jerry Lee
12-14-2007, 03:08 AM
Thanks. Still learning here.. http://fsae.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

We did further testing on the material. It is sort of fireproof, in that it doesn't catch on fire and it puts itself out. Doesn't shatter upon different kinds of impact (one penetrating, other crushing).. If anyone is interested we'll post some data when we do a more scientific test. (for now, I know it compressed 2/7th inch when 186 lbs fell on his heels onto a wooden board from 12 inches)

This is a stupid question: what is the email address or phone number for the rules committee?

moose
12-14-2007, 07:41 AM
I don't know off the top of my head which email to send it to, but its certainly in the rules / on the SAE website.

James Waltman
12-14-2007, 08:58 AM
Jerry,
If it compressed, and stayed compressed, I don't think it's what they're after.
The process for asking about rules is very clear in the rules (pg 107 this year).
It's also front and center on the website: http://students.sae.org/competitions/formulaseries/

Finally, 2/7ths of an inch is a very unconventional way of measuring.

BStoney
12-20-2007, 03:49 AM
I am very curious as to why teams seem to be making things harder on themselves than need be? For something as cut and dry as a headrest, why not just use the material suggested in the Rules? The Ethafoam/Ensolite that is described in the Rules has been listed because its use meets the intent of the rules...to protect your neck and head in a crash situation.

Also, all time is valuable, so think about it this way...if you are a new team, you probably don't have a lot of historical data to work off of, so maybe think of where the best places to invest your time are?

Safety is not something that the Technical Inspectors at Competition will EVER skimp on. If anything, they will interpret those rules more strict and on the safer side than you would...after all, the object here is to not get anyone injured.

I apologize if this comes off rash or if I seem out of line...but after doing this for 5 years, you tend to learn a lot and hate seeing people make the some of the same mistakes I, as well as my team, have made.