PDA

View Full Version : Cartesian Tube

Mikey Antonakakis
11-05-2010, 08:06 PM
So we got our box of notched tubes from Cartesian, and within a few hours have almost half of our chassis tacked together, and the notches are glorious. We had one very crazy notch that we had to remove about .25in^2 from, but other than that we've just had to prep the tubes for welding and tack it together. Everything is fitting perfectly. Pictures to come in the next post when they get approved. Thank you, thank you Cartesian Tube, Columbia University's Knickerbocker Motorsports loves you.

Mikey Antonakakis
11-05-2010, 08:06 PM
So we got our box of notched tubes from Cartesian, and within a few hours have almost half of our chassis tacked together, and the notches are glorious. We had one very crazy notch that we had to remove about .25in^2 from, but other than that we've just had to prep the tubes for welding and tack it together. Everything is fitting perfectly. Pictures to come in the next post when they get approved. Thank you, thank you Cartesian Tube, Columbia University's Knickerbocker Motorsports loves you.

Mikey Antonakakis
11-05-2010, 08:09 PM
http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs1155.snc4/149773_1490929268967_1106040176_31174150_8002434_n .jpg

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash2/hs492.ash2/76592_1490943709328_1106040176_31174168_7563339_n. jpg

Mikey Antonakakis
11-05-2010, 08:10 PM
Placeholder for pictures, pending approval.

Dsenechal
11-05-2010, 09:04 PM
Funny you posted this tonight, We just began tacking our Cartesian Tubes together tonight as well, it is quite lovely.

So far, cartesian seems like the cats pajamas

Mikey Antonakakis
11-06-2010, 03:36 AM
We got most of the chassis tacked together in one night.

RollingCamel
11-06-2010, 06:53 AM
Did anyone make an international order? I'd like to know about the shipping cost because it maybe actually more viable to buy weld- ready tubes rather than doing it here.

coastertrav
11-06-2010, 07:19 AM
Haha, we got our box yesterday too. Starting on it today, looks glorious.

Dsenechal
11-06-2010, 12:22 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by RollingCamel:
Did anyone make an international order? I'd like to know about the shipping cost because it maybe actually more viable to buy weld- ready tubes rather than doing it here. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well, Cartesian is Canadian, soo all state-side teams are international to them. They have very reasonable shipping fees, and it only took 3 days to get here with customs

Jersey Tom
11-06-2010, 12:27 PM
&lt;- Super jealous that I didn't have this kinda thing done a few years ago.

Sormaz
11-06-2010, 02:45 PM
Am I the only one that feels like any kind of cornering load is going either tear everything forward of the front rollhoop off or deform it significantly?

Not hating, just curious what kind of analysis you did and why you went with that design

Mike Cook
11-06-2010, 04:16 PM
Cartesian tube is awesome. Anyone not using them, should. It reinforces you to have good CAD models, which in the long run will really help. We're engineers, not fabricators, design more, build less.

coastertrav
11-06-2010, 04:35 PM
Agreed.

Our chassis flew together today, remarkable how square everything is all on its own when you don't have 6 people hand notching tubes.

This has become the new standard practice for our team.

wagemd
11-07-2010, 12:03 AM
We started using them last year and it was an awesomely easy experience (I hand ground tubes when I first joined the team).

moose
11-07-2010, 12:48 AM
I hand-ground many a tube our first couple of years..and damn were we slow at it those yrs... but by the time I finished up, we usually had a few freshman working on it with one or two experienced people, and it really didn't take that long to get it all done. In the scheme of things, half of us would be machining / making other things, and some other folks would knock out the majority of the chassis in ~2 days. Sure, a giant pain in the ass, and not nearly as accurate / easy as pre-cut, but not the end of the world.

While I agree with the engineers, not fabricators point, and having to make a CAD model, that should be standard anyway...plus, there is something to be said for people really learning what it takes - e.g. not every cut, etc is actually possible. There are physical limits, and some of that is best learned by trying to make something, not just drawing it in solidworks.

Mikey Antonakakis
11-07-2010, 02:17 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Sormaz:
Am I the only one that feels like any kind of cornering load is going either tear everything forward of the front rollhoop off or deform it significantly?

Not hating, just curious what kind of analysis you did and why you went with that design </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Whole structure wasn't done in that picture, there were quite a few significant tubes missing.

RollingCamel
11-07-2010, 05:35 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Dsenechal:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by RollingCamel:
Did anyone make an international order? I'd like to know about the shipping cost because it maybe actually more viable to buy weld- ready tubes rather than doing it here. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well, Cartesian is Canadian, soo all state-side teams are international to them. They have very reasonable shipping fees, and it only took 3 days to get here with customs </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

May I know how much did it cost for you?

Dsenechal
11-07-2010, 08:15 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Dsenechal:

Well, Cartesian is Canadian, soo all state-side teams are international to them. They have very reasonable shipping fees, and it only took 3 days to get here with customs </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

May I know how much did it cost for you? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It cost us 110 USD , which included both boxes (one for bent tubes and other for straight)

We had them in 3 or 4 days

Wetmelon
11-07-2010, 10:07 AM
I'm not sure who we went to last year, but we got all our tubes CNC'd to the correct radii. The tubes fit like a glove, and we didn't have to grind everything by hand. Life is awesome. I'll find out who done it and let you guys know http://fsae.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

RollingCamel
11-07-2010, 11:56 AM

May I know how much did it cost for you? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It cost us 110 USD , which included both boxes (one for bent tubes and other for straight)

We had them in 3 or 4 days </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hmm..110 USD...I believe if to Egypt it will cost 250-300 USD. If Cartesian Tube costs nearly 1000 USD and we add 30% customs then it would cost around 1690 USD. That's nearly 10K EGP that is quite much but we are paying for quality and time. Is mild steel considerably cheaper than 4130? If anything goes wrong we only have mild steel here and we should normalize 4130 after welding, which is quite possible.

Mazur
11-08-2010, 11:53 PM
They charge $1k to cut tubes for a FSAE sized chassis?! That's onsiderably more than I expected.

Makes me not so jealous anymore.

Mikey Antonakakis
11-09-2010, 12:18 AM
I believe it cost us about twice as much as what we paid for tube stock last year to get a ready-to-assemble box of tubes.

RollingCamel
11-09-2010, 07:28 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mazur:
They charge $1k to cut tubes for a FSAE sized chassis?! That's onsiderably more than I expected.

Makes me not so jealous anymore. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm said "if" because I'm not sure. Someone mentioned before it was around $800.