PDA

View Full Version : Wireless Shifting

JHarshbarger
07-05-2007, 10:53 AM
I'm looking into using a wireless shifting/clutching system, and I'm having a hard time finding a wireless system or kit that we can use to transfer small amounts of data quickly and consistantly. I thought Bluetooth might be the way to go, but I haven't been able to find anything about making your own Bluetooth system. I think I remember reading about a team using a PDA for its wireless capabilities, but I wouldn't think that would be neccesary for only a few outputs. Anyone have any experience with something like this?

JHarshbarger
07-05-2007, 10:53 AM
I'm looking into using a wireless shifting/clutching system, and I'm having a hard time finding a wireless system or kit that we can use to transfer small amounts of data quickly and consistantly. I thought Bluetooth might be the way to go, but I haven't been able to find anything about making your own Bluetooth system. I think I remember reading about a team using a PDA for its wireless capabilities, but I wouldn't think that would be neccesary for only a few outputs. Anyone have any experience with something like this?

Kurt Bilinski
07-05-2007, 10:58 AM
What do you gain over using wire? I'd be concerned about a Bluetooth connection getting messed up by the ignition or someones cell phone. These cars are all about simple, not complicated!

drivetrainUW-Platt
07-05-2007, 11:10 AM
ya, WTF? wires are cheap and light, wireless would add so much more cost/complexity to the system.

Unless you are driving/shifting your car from the pits, I would see no reason to do wirless.

JHarshbarger
07-05-2007, 12:06 PM
Yes, in fact we are planning to use a complete onboard telemetry system to drive the car from the pits. Removes the heaviest part of the car - the driver. http://fsae.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

From my experience, Bluetooth is very consistent and I've never had a messed up connection. Phones, computers, and game consoles use it.

For teams that have electronics mounted on the steering wheel, how do you make the steering wheel removable?

This was an idea to come up with alternative to having wires wound around next to the steering wheel. If going wireless is too complex, we won't run it (I convinced my team to use a cable shifter this year because of reliability). I'm just looking to see what's available.

Kurt Bilinski
07-05-2007, 12:49 PM
Understood, but in the context of an FSAE car, how many turns does your steering wheel use? My Mini is one turn each way off center line, and your cars must be even faster than that. I think most people use a coiled telephone-type cable.

drivetrainUW-Platt
07-05-2007, 01:21 PM
Our wheel was one turn lock to lock if I remember correctly.

You could come up with a "brush" setup (think electric motor contacts) for $10.

Wireless would be pretty cool though, especially if you could get it to do multiple features (to justify its existance on the car)

BenB
07-05-2007, 01:44 PM
Most race cars that do not simply use coiled telephone lines just have a connector in the center of the wheel positioned so that when the wheel is pushed onto the splines of the wheel it also plugs in the wiring. You then run the cable down the the steering column. (the small angle of rotation of a race car and the length of the steering column normally make wire twist not an issue.) You normally will have an "indexing" spline that makes it so the wheel can only go on in one orientation. This would be far easier/better/cheaper/more reliable than a wireless system

Lemo makes good connectors that you can configure the size and number of pins I think:

http://www.lemo.com/index.jsp

I think they are a little spendy for the connector, but it should still be way cheaper than doing a blue-tooth system. Interesting idea thoughhttp://fsae.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Jersey Tom
07-05-2007, 02:02 PM
The thru connectors on the QDC steering wheels.. are a paaaain to wire. Or maybe we're just dumb. Quite possible.

I like the coily 'telephone' style cables myself. Easy, and I think they look cool.

Dave_Dal
07-06-2007, 05:01 AM
Just to answer the original question...Take a look at the ZigBee standard, there's quite a few chips available for it.

Erich Ohlde
07-06-2007, 07:30 AM
In response to the center connector for steering wheels (i.e. SPA Technique) it is a nice little setup but the 30awg wire that is in there SUCKS. I am working on building a setup similar to what champ car has.

Maverik
07-06-2007, 09:58 AM
We run the SPA technique connector, modified to suit our electrical desires... the internal is just a lemo that you can swap out if need be. If you have the tooling to properly crimp a lemo then it's not too much of a hassle to wire it. It is infinitely nicer and more convenient than the ole' telephone cord.