PDA

View Full Version : OptimumG Vehicle Dynamics Seminar

OptimumG
04-09-2008, 11:14 AM
OptimumG's Vehicle Dynamics and Data Acquisition Seminar is on again at the following date and location:

North America (3-Day Seminar)
Date: May 19-21
Venue: Michigan State University
Location: East Lansing, MI 48824-1226, USA (about 1 hour drive from the Michigan International Speedway)

Students wishing to attend the seminar will have to first send an email to engineering@optimumg.com providing the following information:

- Name and role in team
- FSAE Team Name
- University Name and Location
- Name of the course/degree which you are currently undertaking
- Proof that you are a currently enrolled student, such as a class timetable

Upon verification of the email, you will be provided with a discount code, which you can then proceed to register online at www.optimumg.com (http://www.optimumg.com) and obtain the student discount price.

The early seminar registration price is $450.00 USD per person and the group discount price is $375.00 USD per person.
After 5/4/2008 the registration price is $550.00 USD per person and the group discount price is $450.00 USD per person.

The group discount is applicable to students who register in groups of three or more. Please send an email to engineering@optimumg.com stating the name and email address of EACH participant, along with the details listed above. Each participant will then be sent an email containing the discount code.

<span class="ev_code_BLUE">Please click here (http://www.optimumg.com/FSAE%20Seminar%20Flyer%202008.pdf) to download the seminar brochure.</span>

SEMINAR OVERVIEW

If you are looking for the best possible design and performance for your FSAE car, or you are seeking a future in the racing or automotive industry, the 3-Day Seminar and FSAE Seminar gives you the opportunity to do just that.
During the seminar, you will not only learn about the science and the math of racecar design and performance, but also "the tips and tricks" which affect your car's handling. I would love to share with you my 30 years of experience in Formula Ford, European Touring Car Championship, Formula 3, Formula 3000 in Europe and Japan, Formula 1 and Champcar, as the president of my race car engineering consulting company (several of our employees are former FSAE participants) and as an FSAE design judge.

WHAT IS DISCUSSED?

Lateral and longitudinal tire grip VS slip angle, slip ratio, vertical load, pressure, camber and temperature, tire rolling resistance, camber change, bump and roll steer, Ackerman, antisquat and antidive, roll and pitch center definition and movement, CG measurements, ideal weight distribution, chassis torsion stiffness and chassis torsion damping, motion ratio, natural and damped frequency, weight transfer in steady state and transient, "magic numbers", moment of inertia in roll, pitch and yaw measurements and how to use these numbers to tune the car, shock tuning, brake balance, shock speed histogram, minimal and ideal data acquisition hardware..... and anything else you wish to discuss.

I guarantee you that you will learn in 3 days (3 very intensive days! From 8:00 AM to almost 8:00 PM) more than you can get in any racing books. I also guarantee you that I will answer all of your questions - but you will also get out of there with more question than you came with!

A comprehensive, well-organized binder containing more than 600 pages of explanatory text and illustrative diagrams will be given to each participant. Several examples of setup, data, and practical experience (some successful some disastrous) will be shown and given as illustrations. This seminar has been given to many professionals in the racing industry such as Penske, Bridgestone and Ferrari F1 and will be available to FSAE students at the exceptionally low rates listed above, because we know you are part of the future of the industry and want to help you start your career.

Your online purchase includes tuition, binder and lunch each day of the seminar. You will be responsible for your own transportation and accommodation. For further enquiries or more information about the seminar, please visit www.optimumg.com (http://www.optimumg.com) or email engineering@optimumg.com.

ABOUT OPTIMUMG

Denver-based OptimumG LLC, founded in 1997, provides a single source for motorsport consulting, engineering, and decision support software products. The company's founder, Claude Rouelle, is a renowned racecar engineer and acclaimed international seminar leader. OptimumG's consulting clients have included teams in racing series around the world. The current roster includes the SCCA SPEED World Challenge, American LeMans Series, Grand American Rolex Sports Car Championship, and NASCAR Busch and Nextel Cup Series. Worldwide seminar clients include MoTeC, Ferrari, Michelin and DaimlerChrysler. Add this valuable and well-respected seminar to your resume today and you will find a lot of doors opening up for you in the racing world.

Best regards,
Claude Rouelle
President
OptimumG, LLC
Tel: 1 303-752-1562 Fax: 1-303 368-0121
engineering@optimumg.com
www.optimumg.com (http://www.optimumg.com)

Anvit Garg
04-17-2008, 07:59 PM
Hey can anyone recommend when to book the tickets?

I cant find an exact schedule for the 3 days, but from what I have read/heard, it should be from 8-8PM for all 3 days.

I am assuming it is recommended to then book a flight for the 18th in and 22nd out?

Also any recommended/preferred hotels (one that is relatively safe and maybe a discounted price)?

If these questions can be answered elsewhere, please let me know!

I plan on paying for the seminar this weekend as well as booking a ticket. So any info is appreciated.

JHarshbarger
04-18-2008, 10:30 AM
I cant find an exact schedule for the 3 days, but from what I have read/heard, it should be from 8-8PM for all 3 days.

"From 8:00 AM to probably late at night"

I am assuming it is recommended to then book a flight for the 18th in and 22nd out?

Your call.

Also any recommended/preferred hotels (one that is relatively safe and maybe a discounted price)?

It's at MSU, so it's probably not going to be affiliated with any hotels.

Anvit Garg
04-18-2008, 06:43 PM
Ok... thanks for that. Not sure if you were trying to be rude or helpful.

8AM to Probably late at night isnt a real schedule, and that is a generalization for all 3 days, sometimes people end things early on the last day which would save me another 50-100 on another hotel night if I flew out the same night.

Since the company is based in Colorado, theres a good chance they are staying at a hotel, and if thats a common place people go for SAE stuff, usually they have preferred areas that are very close or less hassle.

Maybe someone that has been to a couple seminars can provide some input. I emailed them back asking the same answers but no reply, I will pay for the seminar as soon as I can get some solid answers.

Unlike most colleges here I am prob going to end up paying out of pocket as a student so I would like to save money if there is room for it.

RiNaZ
04-19-2008, 03:56 AM
Anvit, like i said in the other thread that you started ... it is a very intensive seminar ... you'll be in it from 8am to probably 8pm with 5 min break every hour and a lunch break at noon or something. There is a 100 dollar difference in registration before deadline, so i suggest that you register ASAP.

If you really have to miss a day ... you should miss the last day. The last day is a talk about engine management system by a MOTEC rep. But call OptimumG to find out what the schedules are so you'll know for sure.

I also suggest that you get together from students from other universities in sharing room for the seminar. If you're gonna be there at the competition this year, maybe you can announce it there to see if anybody would share the cost of a room.

And also, what you need to do is go online to look for cheap rooms. A common place for SAE ppl probably not the cheapest option for you. I suggest orbitz.com for your hotel search.

A lot of these students are paying out of their own pocket for this seminar, so believe me, you're not alone. I must say though, in my opinion, $450 is kinda steep. When i went to the seminar it was about $190 i think. But that was in 2004 i think (or maybe 2002 ... it's been a while).

A piece of advice, if you have no experience designing and building a car yet, i suggest that you learn how to ASAP. You will learn a lot at the seminar ... and most cases, if you try to process too much info in too little time, you will forget almost all of them. So if you know at least the basics, something like roll center etc, that's one thing less that you dont have to process. I think i saw something on discovery channel about how human brain can only process 7 things at one time. So ... learn as much as you could before the seminar.

Anvit Garg
04-19-2008, 08:58 AM
Oh theres no way I am going to skip a day! I was just saying if I could get the exact time they plan on ending on the last day, I can check out of the room on the 3rd day and just drive straight to the airport after the seminar and fly home.

I will not be attending the competition. I have been trying to learn as much as I can but I learn better when the reading is coupled with lecture. I will have some free time before the seminar (about 2 weeks) so I will review as much as possible from my milliken books as well as carroll smith books.

As for what you said about forgetting, you are absolutely correct, which is why I am hoping that 600 page binder will help. 450 is very steep, which is why I am having problems finding anyone at my school to come, but I am hoping that for the 450 I will have enough knowledge to start designing a decent car.

There are some students from another college here in Houston that used to be in the FSAE competition so I will be sitting down with them to review.

Biggy72
04-19-2008, 10:23 AM
The binder is sort of helpful, but it really has a ton of illustrations without explanation. They will be explained in the lecture, but try to take as many notes as possible. When I went in 2006 I think I paid about 300. If the seminar was at west I'd definitely go again to try to retain a little more this time, but going to michigan is a little too expensive for me. I really doubt that there's a set schedule. It's more of a we'll see how far we get and how many questions are asked sort of deal. We had to skip over the aero part when I went because we didn't have time for it.

Also as Rinaz said try to find someone from another school to stay with. Two of us from Washington State stayed with a guy named Marko from Cambridge UK that we randomly met at the mall the night before when we went in 06.

Anvit Garg
04-19-2008, 12:16 PM
Are recording devices not allowed?

RiNaZ
04-19-2008, 02:16 PM
I doubt that you're gonna have anything that can record that long. Unless of course you dont mind having a lot of tapes with you or memory cards. Im pretty sure you have to change it many times during the days. Email optimumG to find out if you can bring any visual recording equipment. Im pretty sure audio ones are okay.

Anvit Garg
04-21-2008, 11:57 AM
Got a reply:

No audio or video recording devices, the binder will have space to write notes.

OptimumG
04-22-2008, 01:13 PM
Dear all,

Please note that the following details have been updated in the original post:

- Seminar location
- Seminar hours for the three days
- Purchase details

Additionally, Claude will be conducting the seminar on all three days, and there will be no presentations from a Motec representative as it was the case in previous seminars.

OptimumG
05-02-2008, 01:09 PM
Dear all,

This is a reminder that the last day for the early registration price is Sunday (May 4th).

$450.00 instead of $550.00 USD per person. $375.00 instead of $450.00 USD per person for group registrations.

Given the limited seats available and the rate of which they are filling up, we strongly encourage you to register as soon as possible. To register for the seminar, please send an email to engineering@optimumg.com, providing the following information:

- Your role in the team
- FSAE Team Name
- University Name and Location
- Name of the course/degree which you are currently undertaking
- Proof that you are a currently enrolled student, such as a class timetable

Upon verification of the email, you will be provided with a discount code, which you can then proceed to register online at www.optimumg.com (http://www.optimumg.com) and obtain the student discount price. The group discount is applicable to students who register in groups of three or more. Please send an email to engineering@optimumg.com stating the name and email address of EACH participant, along with the details listed above. Each participant will then be sent an email containing the discount code.

For more comprehensive information regarding the seminar, please visit our website at www.optimumg.com (http://www.optimumg.com).

Best regards, and best of luck at the upcoming competition!

Collin Galganski
05-04-2008, 05:37 PM
Is anyone going to this?

I just registered and am looking for a hotel at the moment, maybe someone to split a room with?

RBbugBITme
05-05-2008, 05:45 AM
One of my teammates is going alone and I'm sure wouldn't mind splitting a room.

pm me is you haven't found anyone yet and I'll get you in touch with him.

The AFX Master
05-14-2008, 06:57 PM
Hi there..

We're 3 guys going to Optimum G seminar.. We're planning to sleep on the Super 8 at East Lansing. Since the rest of the team will not be at East Lansing these days (and we don't want to drive 75 miles from and to Adrian every day), we are almost abandoned regarding transportation from the Super 8 to the MSU.

There's Someone resting at super 8 that can give us a ride from the hotel to the seminar location those days?..

Thanks for your feedback

RBbugBITme
05-14-2008, 09:14 PM
pm sent