PDA

View Full Version : How does an adjustable anti-dive suspension work?

Ericyu
06-09-2008, 03:25 AM
Hi
Is any team use an adjustable antidive suspension? how would that be accomplish? Thanks.

Eric

Ericyu
06-09-2008, 03:25 AM
Hi
Is any team use an adjustable antidive suspension? how would that be accomplish? Thanks.

Eric

exFSAE
06-09-2008, 06:05 AM
I'd think you'd need multiple chassis-side pickup points and a-arm sets. Possible but not practical.

Brian Evans
06-09-2008, 07:45 AM
Many production race cars (Lola, Van Diemen, etc) have adjustable anti/pro dive, and adjustable anti/pro squat at the rear. Normally the heights of the lower A-arm pickup points are adjustable with spacers or similar. The range of adjustment is about an inch up or down.

Brian

exFSAE
06-09-2008, 07:51 AM
Ahh that's true. Forgot about that.. I think Swift's cars are similar. Can run different tophat spacers and tweak the -dive like that. Good call.

Speaking of which, tophat spacers on suspension pickups are the only way to go, IMO. Stainless steel, as well. On our older cars we used aluminum straight tube spacers all around.. damn those things sucked.

jdstuff
06-09-2008, 11:26 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by exFSAE:
I think Swift's cars are similar. Can run different tophat spacers and tweak the -dive like that. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes, Swift did utilize this setup.

Ericyu, as Brian said the adjustment range is usually around 1". A small change can have a significant effect on your dive/squat percentages.

Michael Palaszynski
06-09-2008, 01:58 PM
The anti-dive % designed into the suspension is a function of the load path through the A-arms relative to the CG of the car.

Ericyu
06-11-2008, 03:23 AM
Thanks guys, I think I got it. In your FSAE cars about how much percent anti-dive and anti-squat is used?
Thanks

exFSAE
06-11-2008, 05:00 AM
If you don't have a specific reason for running anti-dive, then don't use it.

Regarding how much is "typically" used, I don't think there's a typical value for anything in these cars.

That said, I'd use 0.

Chris Lane
06-11-2008, 07:44 AM
Zero on both ends makes the chassis really simple which is a very big plus, and worth considering if you don't have a lot of resources.