PDA

View Full Version : Thanksgiving Weekend Push!

Whis
11-22-2009, 12:54 AM
Whos doing it and how is it going?

Ours? So so. All the freshman left, kinda need them to cut tubes cause no team leader wants to. http://fsae.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

Whis

Engine Team Lead
ISU FSAE

Whis
11-22-2009, 12:54 AM

Ours? So so. All the freshman left, kinda need them to cut tubes cause no team leader wants to. http://fsae.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

Whis

Engine Team Lead
ISU FSAE

coastertrav
11-22-2009, 11:52 AM
Most of the team is going home for thanksgiving, so not much is getting done. Our big push is going to be over Christmas break.

t21jj
11-22-2009, 12:42 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Whis:

Whis

Engine Team Lead
ISU FSAE </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Were you expecting anything else? That's the way it always has been.

Do you have the engine back together yet?

Good Luck

TorqueWrench
11-22-2009, 02:58 PM
Big push this week is to get the engine running and tuned as the rest of the car is done. I would like to be doing some donuts in the parking lot on Dec 1st.

Pennyman
11-22-2009, 10:30 PM
I have a special band saw blade I break out when the freshman aren't around. Then things get done...

George 4
11-23-2009, 08:47 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Pennyman:
I have a special band saw blade I break out when the freshman aren't around. Then things get done... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

we hide drill bits

Big Mo
11-23-2009, 03:23 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by George 4:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Pennyman:
I have a special band saw blade I break out when the freshman aren't around. Then things get done... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

we hide drill bits </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

HIDE THE WELDING HELMUTS!!!

Mikey Antonakakis
11-24-2009, 06:09 AM
Cockpit welded up. Waiting for orders to come in. Car SHOULD come together fast this year, we have a whole lot more modeled right now than we did at this point last year.

Adambomb
11-24-2009, 03:53 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Big Mo:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by George 4:

we hide drill bits </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

HIDE THE WELDING HELMUTS!!! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

We have a whole cabinet full of hidden tools, end mills, micrometers, taps, drill bits, etc. We simply refer to it as the "skull cabinet." Baja gets pissed that we have our own stash of hidden tools; apparently they haven't realized the importance of hiding tools from random freshmen. But then again they can build their whole car with a 12" crescent wrench, an angle grinder, a sawzall, a pair of vise grips, and a 24 oz. ball-peen hammer (AKA the "baja hammer"), and those tools are pretty hard to break.

overdrive535
11-25-2009, 10:11 AM
So Iowa State's Baja team applies the tractor factor to their tools as well, eh?

Crispy
11-26-2009, 08:14 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">But then again they can build their whole car with a 12" crescent wrench, an angle grinder, a sawzall, a pair of vise grips, and a 24 oz. ball-peen hammer (AKA the "baja hammer"), and those tools are pretty hard to break. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The real trick is how Baja uses the tools

Baja Tool -Used as
-------------------------------------------
12" crescent wrench - micrometer
angle grinder - polishing wheel
sawzall - mill
vise grips - 12" crescent wrench
24 oz. ball-peen hammer - tube bender

But I kid, we get along alright with our Baja team (we can't give them too much crap because they win...).

kapps
11-26-2009, 05:30 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Adambomb:

We have a whole cabinet full of hidden tools, end mills, micrometers, taps, drill bits, etc. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Haha. We also have something similar... it's called the cnc cabinet. All the best end mills, my personal calipers, a handful of drill bits for whatever is being made at that time, etc. Hiding in plain sight; some of the older guys might look in it for something but none of the youngens go near since they don't know any better (an end mill is an end mill, right? why do these have round ends? 3 flutes...?) http://fsae.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Adambomb
11-30-2009, 05:29 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by overdrive535:
So Iowa State's Baja team applies the tractor factor to their tools as well, eh? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah, mostly we just have to give them a lot of crap, but they deserve most of it http://fsae.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif . They are learning, I hope. We'll see...

Whis
12-02-2009, 03:05 PM
They are not. Still have rod ends in bending. I'm really debating how much they are learning here..... Nope. They aren't.

Whis

Adambomb
12-02-2009, 05:27 PM
^^Revision: They still have every rod end in bending. And this was after design judge Steve Fox came and gave us a wonderful presentation during an SAE industrial lectureship (which specifically included the perils of REIB), and also specifically critiqued our baja team's car. We will see how their car turns out this year...

D.J.
12-03-2009, 09:42 PM
we are getting new ratchets end mills and such from the student gov next week. i think we will need to set up a little hidden cabinet as well. but from what i have seen unfortunately its not only freshmen that abuse and misplace our tools. i think we need some kind of serious shop manager anyone else have one?