PDA

View Full Version : Involute Profile

rjwoods77
01-26-2005, 05:47 PM
I am trying to model up external and internal involute splines. I am using ANSI B92.1-1996 spec. Figured I would ask if someone had a 2d or 3d part file that I could use before i went throught the trouble of developing it myself. Also if anyone needs it I have an involute tooth sprocket part file in soldiworks if anyone wants it.

rjwoods77
01-26-2005, 05:47 PM
I am trying to model up external and internal involute splines. I am using ANSI B92.1-1996 spec. Figured I would ask if someone had a 2d or 3d part file that I could use before i went throught the trouble of developing it myself. Also if anyone needs it I have an involute tooth sprocket part file in soldiworks if anyone wants it.

JDF
01-26-2005, 06:47 PM
I've got an excell sheet that generates involute profiles based on pitch, # teeth, etc. It just spits out a list of x,y coordinates which you can import into drawing. Not sure where the file is right now, but I'll dig for it if you think it could help.

rjwoods77
01-26-2005, 07:00 PM
Sounds cool. Send it to my e-mail.

rjwoods77
01-26-2005, 09:49 PM
Actually while I am on the subject... I think it would be cool for all of us to pool any spec resources we have as far as involute chain and involute spline specs. I know the machinists handbook goes into some depth but I would like to see actual diagrams and methods of reproduction. I spent about 3hrs flipping through all the gear form resources in the library and they showed the governing equations for the involute profiles on gears. But they didnt cover splines or sprockets. So we all use motorcycle chain and most of us use ansi splines so lets get spec/cad thing going so it is easier on all of us. I am just anal and want to model all the parts perfect.

Courtney Waters
01-27-2005, 01:16 AM
I have thought about putting together a resource page for FSAE (and other racing-related design). As you've noted, some of the info is pretty challenging to come across and it would be cool to have a collaborative effort to pool that info and have an easy spot (the web) to retrieve it from. It would also be useful for those of us who are out of school but still doing automotive design/engineering for work or for fun.

JDF
01-27-2005, 11:53 AM
Well I lied. Can't find the file anywhere. If I still have my notes from it I'll put together another sheet, but the notes probably got tossed with the file...