PDA

View Full Version : Camber angle x tire needs

Tiago_Campagnolo
02-15-2012, 03:24 PM
Hi guys,

I know that this question can be little a newbie question but I really don't know how to answer. I already tried to looking for answers here but I didn't found.

With the tire data and the vertical loads on the tire at a given lateral G, how do I find the ideal camber angle?

Thank you!

Sormaz
02-15-2012, 03:26 PM
plot lateral grip vs camber angle?

Tiago_Campagnolo
02-15-2012, 04:33 PM
When do you mean "lateral grip" are you referring to the normalized lateral force?

Ok, after do it what is the criteria to choose between 0 or 4 degrees for example ?

Thank you!

CameronBeaton
02-16-2012, 12:28 AM
Take the maximum force for each case and plot that camber angle.

Have you read anything about tyres?

Sormaz
02-16-2012, 02:24 AM
Originally posted by Tiago_Campagnolo:
When do you mean "lateral grip" are you referring to the normalized lateral force?

Ok, after do it what is the criteria to choose between 0 or 4 degrees for example ?

Thank you!
Doesn't matter if it is normalized. you are looking for the maximum, aren't you?

Tiago_Campagnolo
02-16-2012, 08:50 AM
Take the maximum force for each case and plot that camber angle.

Have you read anything about tyres?

Yes, I already read about tires, I was just confused. This is my first suspension project.

Doesn't matter if it is normalized or divided by the number of people starving in africa. you are looking for the maximum, aren't you?

Ok I always want to reach the maximum but sometimes, forgetting the caster effect, a wheel with too much camber will decrease the contact patch. I think that is necessary a trade off between the longitudinal and lateral motions. Am I right?

So, is just plot the graph, at a given condition, and looking for the best combination of inclination angle and lateral force. Knowing the lateral force necessary to react with the centrifugal force and distributing at each tire I will find, looking the graph, the camber angle necessary to reach the lateral force, right?

By the way, to distribute analytically the lateral force at each wheel in the bicycle model is easy, because there is just two wheels but on the four wheels model that include the lateral load transfer I don't know how do it. Can you help me?

I really appreciate your help.

Thanks.

Claude Rouelle
02-16-2012, 09:18 AM
or divided by the number of people starving in africa. you are looking for the maximum

This analogy is unnecessary, inconsiderate and unacceptable. It cast doubt about the writer ignorance of some of the world suffering and realities.

Sormaz
02-16-2012, 01:41 PM
Originally posted by Claude Rouelle:
This analogy is unnecessary, inconsiderate and unacceptable. It cast doubt about the writer ignorance of some of the world suffering and realities.

It was also written after a very long night. I must apologize and state clearly that there was no meaning of offense or insult. The intent was simply show irrelevance by bringing in a completely unrelated topic and may have included a quick lapse of judgement.

Adambomb
02-16-2012, 03:15 PM
Originally posted by Tiago_Campagnolo:
Ok I always want to reach the maximum but sometimes, forgetting the caster effect, a wheel with too much camber will decrease the contact patch. I think that is necessary a trade off between the longitudinal and lateral motions. Am I right?

So, is just plot the graph, at a given condition, and looking for the best combination of inclination angle and lateral force. Knowing the lateral force necessary to react with the centrifugal force and distributing at each tire I will find, looking the graph, the camber angle necessary to reach the lateral force, right?

By the way, to distribute analytically the lateral force at each wheel in the bicycle model is easy, because there is just two wheels but on the four wheels model that include the lateral load transfer I don't know how do it. Can you help me?

I really appreciate your help.

Thanks.

Sounds like you're on the right track. However this is sort of getting into one of those "holy grail" numbers that people don't like to put on public forums. http://fsae.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif Will have to dig a bit deeper on your own for that one, it is still a competition after all!