PDA

View Full Version : Igniters

Lars Kanter
03-02-2006, 03:24 PM
I was wondering what igniters you all run with your ECUs without internal igniters. I saw previous posts referencing Bosch igniters and I saw a couple of part numbers (Bosch 0227 100 211), but I haven't been able to find info on what the pinout is. I'm looking for a 4 channel unit.

Lars Kanter
03-02-2006, 03:24 PM
I was wondering what igniters you all run with your ECUs without internal igniters. I saw previous posts referencing Bosch igniters and I saw a couple of part numbers (Bosch 0227 100 211), but I haven't been able to find info on what the pinout is. I'm looking for a 4 channel unit.

Erich Ohlde
03-02-2006, 03:49 PM
we make ours. just 4 transistors, they cost about a dollar a piece, just have to make your own housing for them. if you want a part number email me at eohlde at ku dot edu

Chris Boyden
03-03-2006, 06:44 AM
just post them
IGBT's from International Rectifier

http://www.irf.com/product-info/datasheets/data/irgs14c40l.pdf

Erich Ohlde
03-03-2006, 08:09 AM
sorry I woulda posted but I couldn't find the email. We use PN MGP15N40CL from IGBT, this is available as NPN and PNP

Dan G
03-03-2006, 02:47 PM
The standard IGBT for Megasquirt is the VB921. They've been working great for us so far...

http://www.msefi.com/files/coil_diagram_700.gif

http://www.not2fast.com/electronics/component_docs/vb921zvfi_sp.pdf

They're nice because they have interal current limiting and flyback diode. Rugged little transistor.

Analogue
03-08-2006, 11:39 PM
The Huco substitute for the Bosch module has BUB323Z Darlingtons. They aren't easy to drive, since 5V is not quite enough. I didn't have the guts to rip open a Bosch part.

Motec has a pinout for the Bosch module on their website. Basically, the side with 5 pins has the ground in the middle and 4 signal wires on the side. The 4 pin side is the coil outputs, open collector.

The Bosch module has internal current limiting. It isn't built into the BUB323Z, but is a separate function.

The Bosch module is easy to wire, but not easy to control. If you do your own, use logic level IGBTs. The Bosch module is current driven, and needs more than 5 V but must be current limited through a resistor. The analysis is not trivial.

Keith

Analogue
03-08-2006, 11:46 PM
Also, the MGP15N40CL is from ONSemi and is ONLY available in a NPN configuration. Trust me, you wouldn't want it any other way.

For a COP setup, you should have the transistor on the ground wire of the coil. I'm not familiar enough with CDI to make any kind of assertive comment.

IR also makes a nice logic level IGBT that's clamped at around 400 V, P/N IRGS14C40L. I have a large stockpile of them for when I give up on the Bosch module.

Whatever you do, these things generate heat. You must heat sink them very well, and since the tab is the drain or collector, you cannot connect them together or to ground. They must sit on an electrical insulator and a good thermal conductor. The Huco module had the transistors on a beryllium oxide substrate. This would be a difficult (and stupidly dangerous) feat to match for the do it yourselfer.

Keith

Chris Boyden
03-09-2006, 01:04 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">IR also makes a nice logic level IGBT that's clamped at around 400 V, P/N IRGS14C40L. I have a large stockpile of them for when I give up on the Bosch module. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Is there an echo in here?

I like the thermal epoxy for bonding to heat sinks. You can get it so that it's not electrically conductive, but it yeilds an excellent theta case to sink. no need to mess with exotics, just machine/or buy an appropriate aluminum heat sink with plenty of fins.